There has been some concern by some that | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

Assuming this is Jesse’s last year, we need to recruit over everyone on the roster, including the five freshman, to get back to competing for conference titles.

I agree. Our roster is an absolute disaster, and kids that have a lot of PT coming their way are regularly leaving the program. Things are not OK.

With young players today you have to let them play through their mistakes. JB can’t do this. It’s like he takes a mistake personally and can’t get over it. Can you imagine JB having 4-5 one and dines on his roster?
Well, its got to be one or the other.

Either bring in a bunch of older portal guys or go young and let them play through the mistakes.

The mix doesn't appear to work fantastic unless you are like UNC and have 12 top players to work with to get through the injuries and people leaving, etc

Yeah that stings. We might be all time bad next year

It stings but I care more about Benny. You can tell yourself a realistic story of Benny becoming an impact player next season based on athleticism, the sophomore jump and pedigree. We don’t have many high upside guys on this roster. We need to keep the ones we have.

It stings but I care more about Benny. You can tell yourself a realistic story of Benny becoming an impact player next season based on athleticism, the sophomore jump and pedigree. We don’t have many high upside guys on this roster. We need to keep the ones we have.
I think if Benny starts and plays 25 to 30 minutes a game, it will give him more confidence and hopefully much better results.

We have so little margin for error we can’t afford to lose anyone of value from this year’s team. Frank is a loss. We don’t have a backup center and the name being mentioned as a possible replacement is a downgrade. We don’t know about Benny. He needs to make a big jump, a bigger jump than any player perhaps in SU history. There are more questions about next year’s team than any that I can recall. We’ll know in another month or so whether next season is a rebuilding year or possibly a bubble team.

I agree. Our roster is an absolute disaster, and kids that have a lot of PT coming their way are regularly leaving the program. Things are not OK.
What is funny is I expect atleast 2 of the 5 recruits next year to portal.
These kids aren’t instant impact players and players transfer like crazy now.

I am saying that knowing our roster is under talented to compete at the national level.

We are hoping to be a bubble team next year.

Our floor had previously been just missing the tournament.
Then this year it became sub .500.
Right now, next year's floor is 10-21. Not predicting that will be the record but that it could get that bad. This thing is decaying fast. This could be subject to change depending on the final roster but I am prepping for the worst.

Entirely off topic, but it's odd to me that Bouie didn't make the NBA and was a second round pick while Danny Schayes was selected 13th overall. Bouie put up much better numbers here and they were the same size. I know Danny had a long and lucrative career, but I would have though Bouie would have lasted a long time in the league based on his size and college numbers.
0307 - thought I'd put Danny Schayes numbers/comments to compare to Bouie. You're right, Danny had an eighteen year career in the NBA but because of the Louie and Bouie show did not start for SU until his senior year.

Both were 6'11" 230 LBS. Bouie started every game for four years, 118, due to L&B, Schayes played in 117 but only started in 39. Career SU Stats for Schayes: PTS 965, RPG 5.4, PPG 8.2, REB 635 Bouie: PTS 1560, RPG 8.4, PPG 13.2, REB 987.

From orangehoops.org:

Danny Schayes Syracuse Basketball

Schayes grew up in the Syracuse area playing for Jamesville-DeWitt. He was an extremely gifted and disciplined player, fundamentally sound in all areas of the game, which was extremely unusual for a player of his size (6’11”). Unfortunately for Schayes, Syracuse had several very talented big men established on the team when he arrived. Roosevelt Bouie and Louis Orr were firmly entrenched in the two big men roles. Coach Jim Boeheim occasionally tried to play Schayes on the court at the same time as Bouie and Orr, but the combination of the three big men did not work well. Instead, Schayes was a valuable sixth man his first three years.

Schayes senior year saw the departure of Orr and Bouie, and Schayes was then the starting center. He was a strong rebounder and a very good passer from the top of the key. Schayes had an excellent mid range jump shot, and was a excellent free throw shooter. He would lead the team in scoring and rebounding, earning first team Big East honors, All-American honors, and academic All-American honors. In a road game against Detroit, Schayes would shoot 11 of 13 from the floor for a career high 33 points.

Last edited:
I may have missed it because it’s a long thread, but have we talked about Torrence’s capacity to improve defensively?

He’s reasonably quick and athletic and while he’s not “lengthy”, he also isn’t overly small(like Joe or Flynn). He tries hard. Seems conceivable that in his second year in the system good chance he’ll be a better defender? Just tightening up those rotations and instincts a little bit can make a difference.

Guys who are just flat out too slow or too small or both would seem to have a much lower defensive “ceiling” no matter how many years they play here. Torrence would seem to me to have a higher ceiling on defense than them, and may be a decent defender next year?
He will be solid. Hes quick and physical.

Every year guys leave. Every year guys step up. Benny is better than he showed this year, he will take a leap. Symir will improve. Joe will be Joe. Jesse should improve. One or two of the freshmen will be playable.
500 team.

Why did Boeheim bring Frank in OT then?
He knew he screwed up.
Jim screwed up so many times the last two seasons its impossible to keep track. Between horrible roster construction and management to in game decisions he hasnt been himself.
Now that his kids are gone i expect him to coach well again. The dynamics of his kids being on the team screwed him up.

Same as this year. Nobody
It was clearly Buddy this year, time and time again. His absence as a scoring threat, whether from 3 or backing into the lane, will be evident immediately next year.

It was clearly Buddy this year, time and time again. His absence as a scoring threat, whether from 3 or backing into the lane, will be evident immediately next year.
I thought the question was who would be able to
" get a basket off the dribble "

I truly dont think anyone ever took their guy off the bounce other than Sy.

They didn’t get all the way to the rim, but both Boeheims created a lot of their own shots off the dribble this season. Honestly Joe and Cole did it a decent amount too.

Buddy scored many times off the dribble by backing into the lane for a turnaround jumper or by finding a seam along the baseline for a floater. At preset, there’s no one who can do that next year. Again, there’s a reason we aggressively pursued Mintz. The coaches already know where next year’s team will be deficient.

Buddy scored many times off the dribble by backing into the lane for a turnaround jumper or by finding a seam along the baseline for a floater. At preset, there’s no one who can do that next year. Again, there’s a reason we aggressively pursued Mintz. The coaches already know where next year’s team will be deficient.
We faired very well against Duke without the Buddy backdown.

Unfortunately, unless we get 1-2 really really good unexpected players, I don;'t see how we can be better than this year's team.
We could use a couple guys like Jesse or Marek, Euros that the coaches pull out of their collective asses that just know how to play basketball and fill in the gaps. Tell Jesse that when he comes back to campus after going home for the summer, he better have a point guard or power forward with him. Also, call Marek and tell him you will send him a carton if he can send us a 6'6" PG.

We faired very well against Duke without the Buddy backdown.
One game. Irrelevant. Opponents will double Joe next year in the backcourt and dare Sy to shoot over the top. And if Joe winds up being our only outside threat, well, you know the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom