There has been some concern by some that | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

You know- I just don't get it. We just spent a ton of money on the Dome, we got a huge donation to spend on a state of the art upgrade for practice facilities and student athlete facilities.

Yet here we are, with our most heralded athletics program and 40 years of success and we are staring down a path that will be reducing the number of butts in seats, the number of jerseys sold, the number of times SU shows up on ESPNs front page or is a featured game on TV.

We have one of the best fan bases for college hoops in the country and the largest venue. The perfect time to make big splashes on the court to maximize all the commitments and upgrades.

And yet we sit here hung up on a strategy in both recruiting and playing style that has the on the court product in a major rut. We have to respect the architect of the program as it stands and the clout and legacy he brings to the table. We also can't continue to let this massive opportunity with the confluence of financial commitments and the NIL go to waste.

We should be hellbent on making a big splash. A recruiting class that has SU front and center on pre season rankings for next year. Instead we are shining the crap out of a recruiting class that needs a boost. Senior day ended with being booed off the court. Lack of butts in seats is going to be felt if we limp through the off season again.

We need 5 months of rabid, non stop War Damn Otto. Bring the juice back.

You despise Jim, your projecting that on the players.rs.

Oh please. You’ve provided zero analysis on this board other than cling to Boeheim’s jock.

He’s bringing in mediocre players that are leaving the first chance they get after experiencing a year with “bad cop” Boeheim. He throws kids under the bus in press conferences for inconsistent and inexplicable reasons.

If you think everything is fine I don’t give a crap but you’re delusional.

Oh please. You’ve provided zero analysis on this board other than cling to Boeheim’s jock.

He’s bringing in mediocre players that are leaving the first chance they get after experiencing a year with “bad cop” Boeheim. He throws kids under the bus in press conferences for inconsistent and inexplicable reasons.

If you think everything is fine I don’t give a crap but you’re delusional.
The only player I've heard say that he despises Boeheim is Etan. Last year the portal opened and it was a new sensation, I don't see the same thing this year. Maybe you should reach out to the guys coming in that Boeheim can be an ogre, apparently according to you they are unaware of his methods.

Frank is not a 4. Jesse could play the 4.
Jesse doesn’t have handles or a real jump shot and he is not nearly quick enough with his post moves to play the four. Frank is also not a four for similar reasons. Putting either of them at 4 with the other would cause some massive crowding issues down low

Frank is not a 4. Jesse could play the 4.

I could see Anselem and Edwards working with a three guard lineup. Girard, Torrence and <whichever of the freshman can shoot> play the perimeter and Anselem and Edwards play inside.

They would need to tweak the 2-3 into more of a 3-2 with the big guys on the edge of the paint and the guards matching up a little bit more.

On offense we would be a dump and chase team. If the freshman is good enough, it could work with two rebounders occupying space and two guys shooting from outside, with Torrence controlling the ball and distributing. It might be fun to watch for 5-7 minutes a half while we try to get Anselem enough time. If Brown or Carey is the best freshman, we just go really big those minutes and attempt to dominate with size the way so many teams have bullied us through the years.

Edwards 30 mpg
Anselem 24
F/G rotation 38
Williams 32
Torrence 30
G rotation 8
Girard 38

Last edited:
Mintz isn’t happening, people should brace themselves for a very difficult year with fewer moments to feel good about.

Try for a new coach with SU ties, but it absolutely should not be anyone on the current staff. Recruiting went from top 10, to top 20, to top 40 and now I’m not even sure we’re looking at a top 50 roster.

This is not a result of striking out on kids who chase money at lesser schools. This is low effort, narrow net casting and an inability to adjust to today’s environment. Internal succession hasn’t been earned, not nearly.
^^^State of Syracuse basketball in a nutshell. Like times 1000

Jesse doesn’t have handles or a real jump shot and he is not nearly quick enough with his post moves to play the four. Frank is also not a four for similar reasons. Putting either of them at 4 with the other would cause some massive crowding issues down low
It would take a dramatic change to our offensive scheme. There have been teams that have been successful with playing two big guys generally running a high/low, setting lots of screens and opening up more for pick and rolls. Kind of like a reverse triangle offense where your two big guys are always rotating in and out.

This thread is rather funny. It’s all speculation but the best part of it is that many posters here have come to the realization that our team for next year is starting to look like a disaster.

I’ll reserve judgment on the incoming freshmen, but by all accounts there’s not a superstar/elite player among them. I’m hopeful that there’s at least 1 or 2 diamonds in the rough in that class that can develop quickly, because we need it desperately.

Outside of the freshmen, there’s only 1 guy that’s critical to keep and his name is Jesse Edwards.

So the whole roster needs to be overhauled. The staff needs to be overhauled. I really don’t care who stays and goes on this current team outside of Jesse. Outside of the emergence is someone that becomes a difference maker (Benny, Bunch, portal?), next year is looking pretty bleak.

The real question is what does the program and roster look like for 2023-24. I’m hoping it looks radically different because we desperately need a massive overhaul from top to bottom, starting with JB, if we want to get back to an elite level.

This thread is rather funny. It’s all speculation but the best part of it is that many posters here have come to the realization that our team for next year is starting to look like a disaster.

I’ll reserve judgment on the incoming freshmen, but by all accounts there’s not a superstar/elite player among them. I’m hopeful that there’s at least 1 or 2 diamonds in the rough in that class that can develop quickly, because we need it desperately.

Outside of the freshmen, there’s only 1 guy that’s critical to keep and his name is Jesse Edwards.

So the whole roster needs to be overhauled. The staff needs to be overhauled. I really don’t care who stays and goes on this current team outside of Jesse. Outside of the emergence is someone that becomes a difference maker (Benny, Bunch, portal?), next year is looking pretty bleak.

The real question is what does the program and roster look like for 2023-24. I’m hoping it looks radically different because we desperately need a massive overhaul from top to bottom, starting with JB, if we want to get back to an elite level.
To me it all depends on Mintz and Cole. If you get them back and maybe don’t lose Frank you have something

To me it all depends on Mintz and Cole. If you get them back and maybe don’t lose Frank you have something
Mintz maybe. Honestly, I like Cole but he’s not a difference maker. Same with Frank.

Thank you. Not sure why so many people are getting their panties in a bunch before they even know what the roster looks like.

Thank you. Not sure why so many people are getting their panties in a bunch before they even know what the roster looks like.
Exactly, we are in roster flux right now. I am sure the coaches know who is leaving and hopefully they show a better understanding of roster building than the last couple of years. It's not time to panic about the roster.

Mintz maybe. Honestly, I like Cole but he’s not a difference maker. Same with Frank.
Do you think Manek is a difference maker at UNC? I don't see any difference between him and Cole.

Exactly, we are in roster flux right now. I am sure the coaches know who is leaving and hopefully they show a better understanding of roster building than the last couple of years. It's not time to panic about the roster.
You would think the coaches know by now, but it's been so quiet on the portal front, I don't know if the potential transferors are still finalizing their decisions. I wonder if the results of some of the past transfers come into play at all (Braswell, Newton, Guerrier, Carey, Goodine).

You would think the coaches know by now, but it's been so quiet on the portal front, I don't know if the potential transferors are still finalizing their decisions. I wonder if the results of some of the past transfers come into play at all (Braswell, Newton, Guerrier, Carey, Goodine).

Is it possible that the coaches could "discreetly" contact someone in the portal without twitter finding out?

The thing that the portal and recent transfers has taught us is that the players that leave are pretty much the same players that were here. The players that come were pretty much the same players that were at their previous schools.

At least with the old transfer rules we could incubate a guy for a year during his redshirt season.

Is it possible that the coaches could "discreetly" contact someone in the portal without twitter finding out?
Of course. Lots of things happen behind the scenes. Using their networks of AAU and high school coaches as the intermediaries.

We will not find anyone better than Cole or Frank in the portal. SU has not been mentioned with a single player in the portal. Other ACC teams are all involved with several players. We lose Cole and Frank and we can flush next season away. I’d be shocked if Mintz commits. I hope I’m wrong.

We will not find anyone better than Cole or Frank in the portal. SU has not been mentioned with a single player in the portal. Other ACC teams are all involved with several players. We lose Cole and Frank and we can flush next season away. I’d be shocked if Mintz commits. I hope I’m wrong.
Do you think Frank should split time with Jesse?

The thing that the portal and recent transfers has taught us is that the players that leave are pretty much the same players that were here. The players that come were pretty much the same players that were at their previous schools.

At least with the old transfer rules we could incubate a guy for a year during his redshirt season.
I think Swider got more opportunity here than he did at Nova so his numbers were better and could evolve further if he returns for another year. But your point is true, and it makes it even more amazing for the schools that have taken numerous portal players and had them be integral parts of successful tournament teams. I don't think it's luck, but those coaches did a great job using the portal as it should be used.

This is where I am too. I don't have high expectations and am not sweating it until we see what the roster looks like. I remain perplexed by what JB's plan is and I am still not on the bandwagon of trust ADJW as he knows all, so I am biding my time. The one irreplaceable guy we have is coming back so I take that win - might be one of the few wins we get for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom