Uconn gets 3 years out of kemba | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn gets 3 years out of kemba

I remember people saying that the reason why SU had success was that guys stayed there longer. It is what it is and that's college basketball. Kids will come and go and some sooner than others and depending on the player and their own personal situation they make their own decision. Honestly, the sooner a lot of you come to except you can't control this situation from your keyboard the sooner you will be able to except what college basketball is. These guys will always come and go and that simply is just the way it is. I understand the frustration but it will drive you crazy if you try to figure out a way to change this in your head while in the real world it ain't going to change unless the NBA decides to do so and to me, I think a kid should be able to decide if he wants to go pro or not for what ever is best for him, not me.

Briancuse said:
I wouldn't put Ennis into the same category as mcw and dion.

Just three months ago - they couldn't hope to be in his around here.

But it never happens for us. Last time I remember it happening was Wallace.
I get people's frustration but it happens to every program that recruits elite talent. Every year there's a freshman or sophomore who quits school to enter the draft and aren't expected to be chosen and isn't chosen until the 20's. Ennis could have stayed if he had wanted to but he didn't want to so we'll just have to move on.

Also UConn has been fortunate because their star guards are midgets. But we can't recruit midgets because of our system (aside from Flynn).

The rule needs to DESPERATELY be 2 years at school, minimum.

Really don't think it's all that difficult to get, or to put in place.

I consider it growing pains. The last 5+ years have seen an incredible boost in recruiting level. Now we have to learn how to deal with some of that talent putting themselves in a position to jump to the NBA in their (short) time at Syracuse.

Are people still really hating on Ennis going for his dream, being most likely a lottery pick? Really?

Are people really hating on Ennis? I do not see that. We all understand that you cannot pass up millions. What people are frustrated with is the system itself. The NBA is a star driven league, they have LeBron, Durant, Paul, Parker, Duncan, Love, etc.. They also have plenty of bigger, stronger, faster more experienced guys to fill out rosters. They simply do not need a 17, 18 year old kid who has not yet matured enough physically or in terms of his overall game to compete against NBA caliber players. Not to the point where they should be a potential lottery picks. Just like they didn't need Donte Greene as a freshman, taking them so early was not in the vital interests of the league.

All of these guys are years away from blossoming into the next potential NBA star. So why take them so darn early? Why cut them a paycheck to develop when you can use college as your minor league? Drafting Ennis so high now supposedly due to some projections of how good he will be 2 or 3 years makes little sense to me. Nobody can know with any reasonable amount of certainty how good of a pro he will be. So why not place an age / years of out High School limit on entering the draft to see just how Ennis, and players like him progress? Rather then speculate, wait a few years, those who excel and those who sink will all come out in the wash. Yes I feel this way because I enjoy what the college game but it also appears to be in the best interests of the NBA as well.

Ennis is a pass first, ball valuing, good handle, pure PG that can score when needed. That is why he is valued more than Napier in the NBA. Shooting guards are a dime a dozen.

I dont think this thread is intending on "hating" Ennis. It just begs the question why do kids leave here and others stay. Carolina got a bunch of guys back a few yrs ago so they could win a championship. This year Paige and McAdoo will do the same. Florida got their back to back titles because guys came back. We have had several within the last few years that couldve come back and made us favorites (this year included). I just wonder why us? Dumb luck? Could be. But i think these other kids see the value of being in school and the value of winning a title no matter how hard it may be.

orangejunkie said:
We were a basket away from another final four. things are not that bad. There is unbelievable parity in college basketball today. Duke had an impressive group of athletes including two that are likely lottery, they lose in the first round. You recruit great talent, the chemistry isn't always there. With players leaving elite programs after 1 or 2 years it partially levels the playing field so that mid majors have a good shot at doing well in the tournament. Look at Butler, 2 consecutive final 4s. VCU last year.

And we were a basket away from losing 5 more games this year. We misses the shot, we made some shots. But to say we were a missed shot away from being out of the round of 32 to the final four is ridiculous.

rstone7727 said:
Ennis is a pass first, ball valuing, good handle, pure PG that can score when needed. That is why he is valued more than Napier in the NBA. Shooting guards are a dime a dozen.

I wouldn't call him a pass first pg.

How is Ennis a lottery pick and Napier isn't a 1st rounder? The NBA makes no sense.

One thing to consider is that Ennis is a freshman and Napier is a senior. Ennis is 19 years old and basically a kid. Napier is 22 years old and more or less a man. For a 19 year old to come in with no college experience and show such promise is something that scouts notice. Napier is 22 with four years of college under his belt. He SHOULD be at the top of his game and able to play better than less experienced competition at the college level.

Are people really hating on Ennis? I do not see that. We all understand that you cannot pass up millions. What people are frustrated with is the system itself. The NBA is a star driven league, they have LeBron, Durant, Paul, Parker, Duncan, Love, etc.. They also have plenty of bigger, stronger, faster more experienced guys to fill out rosters. They simply do not need a 17, 18 year old kid who has not yet matured enough physically or in terms of his overall game to compete against NBA caliber players. Not to the point where they should be a potential lottery picks. Just like they didn't need Donte Greene as a freshman, taking them so early was not in the vital interests of the league.

All of these guys are years away from blossoming into the next potential NBA star. So why take them so darn early? Why cut them a paycheck to develop when you can use college as your minor league? Drafting Ennis so high now supposedly due to some projections of how good he will be 2 or 3 years makes little sense to me. Nobody can know with any reasonable amount of certainty how good of a pro he will be. So why not place an age / years of out High School limit on entering the draft to see just how Ennis, and players like him progress? Rather then speculate, wait a few years, those who excel and those who sink will all come out in the wash. Yes I feel this way because I enjoy what the college game but it also appears to be in the best interests of the NBA as well.

tell that to the thunder

I dont think this thread is intending on "hating" Ennis. It just begs the question why do kids leave here and others stay. Carolina got a bunch of guys back a few yrs ago so they could win a championship. This year Paige and McAdoo will do the same. Florida got their back to back titles because guys came back. We have had several within the last few years that couldve come back and made us favorites (this year included). I just wonder why us? Dumb luck? Could be. But i think these other kids see the value of being in school and the value of winning a title no matter how hard it may be.
These guys weren't projected lottery picks. Some of the Florida guys were projected first rounders, but that was a circumstance that will never happen again. Brewer wanted to go but because Noah and Horford were willing to stay they convinced him.

If we had lost a few games earlier in the year, and were say 18-3 going into Duke instead of 21-0, would Ennis have all the spotlight on him? I doubt it. His exposure was due to the team's success going 25-0 and without that, I don't think any NBA talent evaluators would have rated him so high or even noticed his NBA potential at all.

If we had lost a few games earlier in the year, and were say 18-3 going into Duke instead of 21-0, would Ennis have all the spotlight on him? I doubt it. His exposure was due to the team's success going 25-0 and without that, I don't think any NBA talent evaluators would have rated him so high or even noticed his NBA potential at all.
One would have to think NBA talent evaluators and GM's are smarter than that. Right?

One would have to think NBA talent evaluators and GM's are smarter than that. Right?

One would think, but the added exposure of being undefeated and #1 and #2 in the country had to have helped get his name out there right?

orangepassion said:
If we didn't get the publicity of starting 25-0, Ennis wasn't going anywhere IMO
I disagree. Based on what has been said publicly it appears that we were being used as a quick steppingstone all along. Everyone knows exactly what flaws Ennis has and that he still has them. I think this process started for Ennis and hi stepdad the minute mcw was drafted 11.

BomberOrange said:

Bingo. Uconn got 3 years out of Kemba, who's averaging 18 in the nba, and we only got 2 out of Flynn who's out of the league. So ridiculous.

I disagree. Based on what has been said publicly it appears that we were being used as a quick steppingstone all along. Everyone knows exactly what flaws Ennis has and that he still has them. I think this process started for Ennis and hi stepdad the minute mcw was drafted 11.

I doubt he's a lotto pick w/o that start

tell that to the thunder
just curious, are you comparing Ennis to Durant? Durant was a once in a generation freakish talent. Ennis is not in that category. Ennis would not be much of a comparison to Westbrook either who is 6'3" inches and lightening fast, he also played two years at UCLA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom