Uconn gets 3 years out of kemba | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn gets 3 years out of kemba

orangepassion said:
I doubt he's a lotto pick w/o that start
Maybe so. Although maybe the lottery doesn't matter (there's no assurance of that even now). I'm probably just taking it too personal but there's something very calculated about this. I always felt like when out guys went they were torn. This one I don't get that feeling at all.

just curious, are you comparing Ennis to Durant? Durant was a once in a generation freakish talent. Ennis is not in that category. Ennis would not be much of a comparison to Westbrook either who is 6'3" inches and lightening fast, he also played two years at UCLA.
no I am telling you to tell the thunder that you don't think it makes sense to draft guys based on potential

to add Kevin Durant is one of the biggest reasons teams draft on potential

Bingo. Uconn got 3 years out of Kemba, who's averaging 18 in the nba, and we only got 2 out of Flynn who's out of the league. So ridiculous.

I think Calhoun was much tougher on his young players than Boeheim.

Kemba got only 25 minutes a game as a frosh vs. Flynn who 36 minutes/

Napier got 24 minutes per game - Ennis got 36 minutes a game.

But also, Kemba and Napier were both on a short leash with Calhoun early in the season and played more and more as the season went on.

They would sit if they made mistakes.

Ray Allen - 21 minutes/game as a frosh
Ben Gordon - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
AJ Price - 24 minutes/game as a frosh

Boeheim has always given younger players more freedom and uses a shorter bench.

Last edited:
Shawn91111 said:
This thread, your post says it all

Really? Apparently you are the only one who read it that way...no one else is trolling the OP about hating...

Shawn91111 said:
This thread, your post says it all

Really? Apparently you are the only one who read it that way...no one else is trolling the OP about hating...

to add Kevin Durant is one of the biggest reasons teams draft on potential
Bad example though. Durant was already an absolute studd when they drafted him. Was there ever any doubt that a 6'10" - 7'.0" man with unheard of athleticism and skill was going to excel in the NBA? Not much of a stretch there for any NBA team to draft him. I have always been of the mind that the baseball model is the best, let Durant, Kobe, Garnettesque players go straight to the league. Everyone knows who those transcendant talents are when they see them. Everyone else can play 3 years in college instead. You cannot possibly compare Durant as a freshman at Texas to Ennis in Syracuse, I love Ennis and wish he would stay but he is not in Durant's league.

CorduroyG said:
Bingo. Uconn got 3 years out of Kemba, who's averaging 18 in the nba, and we only got 2 out of Flynn who's out of the league. So ridiculous.

Draft stock.

Bad example though. Durant was already an absolute studd when they drafted him. Was there ever any doubt that a 6'10" - 7'.0" man with unheard of athleticism and skill was going to excel in the NBA? Not much of a stretch there for any NBA team to draft him. I have always been of the mind that the baseball model is the best, let Durant, Kobe, Garnettesque players go straight to the league. Everyone knows who those transcendant talents are when they see them. Everyone else can play 3 years in college instead. You cannot possibly compare Durant as a freshman at Texas to Ennis in Syracuse, I love Ennis and wish he would stay but he is not in Durant's league.
you are completely missing the point, I am not comparing players at all, you are

you are completely missing the point, I am not comparing players at all, you are

If you suggest to me that I should tell the thunder that I don't think it makes sense to draft guys based on potential than you must be making some sort of comparison with Ennis. I actually have no idea what your point is quite frankly. I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of drafting on potential but where and when a player is taken must be based on some sort of common sense notion of just how great the potential is and how sure you are that it will be realized. From this board someone mentioned he could be drafted anywhere between 9 and 14, someone else said 20 -25 range. With the infusion of international players to boot I have a hard time believing he is the 9th best prospect in this years draft, or the 14th for that matter. Back half of the first round sounds a bit more realistic to me. As I said, I wish Ennis would stay and harbor no ill will for his decision, I just do not see a can't miss talent with him at the next level that would garner such a high draft position. I will now call the thunder and tell them that as well for some reason only you seem to understand.

If you suggest to me that I should tell the thunder that I don't think it makes sense to draft guys based on potential than you must be making some sort of comparison with Ennis. I actually have no idea what your point is quite frankly. I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of drafting on potential but where and when a player is taken must be based on some sort of common sense notion of just how great the potential is and how sure you are that it will be realized. From this board someone mentioned he could be drafted anywhere between 9 and 14, someone else said 20 -25 range. With the infusion of international players to boot I have a hard time believing he is the 9th best prospect in this years draft, or the 14th for that matter. Back half of the first round sounds a bit more realistic to me. As I said, I wish Ennis would stay and harbor no ill will for his decision, I just do not see a can't miss talent with him at the next level that would garner such a high draft position. I will now call the thunder and tell them that as well for some reason only you seem to understand.
so you are solely talking about Ennis? not players in general?

Neither Kemba or Napier were anywhere near first rounders before they left. Ennis as a Freshman was better than Sophomore Kemba by a lot, and probably Junior Napier as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom