We need to hire an offensive coordinator. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We need to hire an offensive coordinator.

I disagree. I don't think ga Tech would beat us in a 7 game series. They barely beat us last night. they wouldn't win one game at syracuse and I think we would beat them at least once at tech.

I wish I shared your optimism. Georgia Tech ran some good offense at times. They missed plenty of bunnies and missed lots of open looks. Frank was lazy sliding over a few times but GTech missed some open threes on his side.

We’ll see how it plays out again but I think more of a constant would be Frank not being able to function against Alvarado. We get like nothing easy on offense. Georgia Tech was bad too but at least they were able to execute something at times and get open looks. It’s like playing uphill even against them. Georgia Tech is capable of playing better on offense. Are we?

They were still a top 30 team in offensive efficiency last season. But yes, still too much standing around at times. But way better movement than the garbage we’ve seen with this team lately. He needs to rethink what he’s doing in the half court offense. It’s not working. And we need to push the pace more, but our players do look terrible on the break. Don’t they run the UCLA fast break drill in practice? Next year will be better.
I would imagine the efficiency was due in large part to shooting 38% from 3 and 74% at the FT line.

Regarding Louisville quick short guards or Connecticut quick short guards, I think you have to have 2 of them. I don't think one works so well. Of course we're all remembering them at their most lethal.

I thought the shot clock shortening was going to help us, but we got slower.

We have two shooting guards, along with three big guys who can’t shoot on the floor at all times. When we don’t have a forward who can shoot then this is what happens. Just have to deal with it at this point. Hopefully pull off an upset or two and sneak in the tourney. Then look forward to next year with a real PG, and Baze coming in.

Hopefully Tyus stays, and throw in Hughes and all will be well again. JB should make some adjustments but our struggles are mainly from the fact that we have 2.5 scorers. When Frank and/or Tyus are off then we look terrible. They have no one to pass to so they’re stuck deciding who goes one on one basically.
We don't have a real PG coming next year, and there's a 0% chance Tyus comes back. I bet he regrets not leaving last year.

To BR801’s point we look horrible when we try to run. The moves OB and Battle make are inexplicable.

In a perfect world Howard is a 2 and Battle is a 3 IMO, but guards aren’t the only issue. You need to at least have bigs who can catch(Sidibe was on his way to passing Chukwu, but he got hurt) and you need to have 4 guys who can shoot or the paint is way to packed to drive the ball.

Except that Battle doesn't rebound.
We've had big guards who hit the glass a lot harder than he does.
What does he average, 1 rebound a game? For a guy who's 6-6 that's just terrible.

To BR801’s point we look horrible when we try to run. The moves OB and Battle make are inexplicable.
There is a thing called practice.
If your coach doesn’t believe in it why would you waste time practicing it.
The problem is the HC doesn’t want to do it.
Running transition gives you a better chance than pounding the ball on offense and throwing up a jumper.

This year’s team is the complete opposite of last year. All defense/no offense. We need to get some balance. I think it’s coming next year.

If Battle leaves, we are still not set yet offensively for next year. We still need another guy or two.

If Battle leaves, we are still not set yet offensively for next year. We still need another guy or two.

Honestly I think we may be worse off with him and i know a few others think the same. We should be fine with Sidibe, Bazley Brissett, Carey, Hughes, Howard, Moyer, and Chukwu. That gives us two bigs, 3 forwards(4 if Dolezaj is around), and 3 guards. That should give us enough shooting and a legit inside game with Bazley and Sidibe if he keeps improving. I'm almost wondering if Battle is a ball stopper.

Last edited:
If anybody recorded old Syracuse games I remember Jay Wright during the 2011 Nova-SU game breaking down the Syracuse transition offense brilliantly.

I was thinking about this while leaving the game last night.. We had Andrew White, Tyus Battle and Tyler Lydon, and still had offensive struggles. That's just unacceptable looking back.

Because we never run anymore. And we only run about 5 sets in the halfcourt. We are so damn predictable that it hurts to watch.

Honestly I think we may be worse off with him and i know a few others think the same. We should be fine with Sidibe Bazley Brissett Carey Hughes Howard Moyer Chukwu. That gives us two bigs, 3 forwards(4 of Dolezaj is around), and 3 guards. That should give us enough shooting and a legit inside game with Bazley and Sidibe if he keeps improving. I'm almost wondering if Battle is a ball stopper.

The fact that it is even debatable is miserable.

What if we ran the high pick and roll with Brissett?

Stick whoever is at the 4 in the corner. Have the 5 hang out a few feet from the lane on the baseline looking for the drop off/lob/rebound. Run the the high pnr with Howard/OB or Battle/OB.

Honestly I think we may be worse off with him and i know a few others think the same. We should be fine with Sidibe, Bazley Brissett, Carey, Hughes, Howard, Moyer, and Chukwu. That gives us two bigs, 3 forwards(4 if Dolezaj is around), and 3 guards. That should give us enough shooting and a legit inside game with Bazley and Sidibe if he keeps improving. I'm almost wondering if Battle is a ball stopper.

You need at least 4 guards, and preferably a 5th guy who is good enough to push the other guys in practice, if somebody gets hurt.

We are going to need Buddy as a zone buster next year.

Too much of our outside shooting will be young and unproven, except for Frank. (How shocking to hear myself saying that!)

I disagree. I don't think ga Tech would beat us in a 7 game series. They barely beat us last night. they wouldn't win one game at syracuse and I think we would beat them at least once at tech.

OMG...could you imagine having to watch a 7 game series between these two teams! Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

Syracuse, out here recruiting the only Euro that can't shoot.

It's almost like we made a determined effort to be a historically bad shooting team this year.

At least he doesn’t think he can shoot, unlike Elvir Ovcina.

Late to the discussion but if we need to hire an OC, who do we fire? Of course, if we did hire an bright offensive mind would JB give up control? It is pretty clear to me that none of the current assistants have any influence over JB I'm guessing that some of them sit and watch and think the same things as we do.

Late to the discussion but if we need to hire an OC, who do we fire? Of course, if we did hire an bright offensive mind would JB give up control? It is pretty clear to me that none of the current assistants have any influence over JB I'm guessing that some of them sit and watch and think the same things as we do.

We had an offensive coordinator on our bench but didn't use him. Then he left to go to UW where he has a team full of guys that no one thought were any good (picked for 10th in league by fellow coaches) and they're 16-6/6-3 and actually score more than 50 points in league games.

You can defend JB but our 2013 team had MCW, Triche, Fair, Southerland and Rak/Keita and Grant and it was a terrible halfcourt team.
He doesn’t do anything to help the offense.
He used to run a motion offense that was so good, so we'll designed, that Lawrence Moten, who possessed no NBA worthy skills or physical attributes, became the all time leading scorer in the greatest basketball conference ever.
What happened?

We need better guards. Why is it that a team like Louisville under Pitino was also zone-oriented, but had no problem marching out a parade of smaller guards who could all handle, pass, and shoot without hurting THEM defensively?

College basketball is heavily guard driven. Ours aren't good enough. Simple as that.

I have been told otherwise.

Last edited:
He used to run a motion offense that was so good, so we'll designed, that Lawrence Moten, who possessed no NBA worthy skills or physical attributes, became the all time leading scorer in the greatest basketball conference ever.
What happened?
Father Time is what happened.

What happened?
How does someone manage to play over 1800 minutes in the NBA without any NBA-worthy skills?

The problem is, every single time we run it's 1-on-2 or 1-on-3 or if we're lucky 2-on-3. Our players never pass early and it doesn't look like we work on the transition game at all. You need to give up the ball early and force the defense to play the ball instead of getting to go camp in the lane and take a charge.

We had an offensive coordinator on our bench but didn't use him. Then he left to go to UW where he has a team full of guys that no one thought were any good (picked for 10th in league by fellow coaches) and they're 16-6/6-3 and actually score more than 50 points in league games.

I've watched a few UW games and it's a pleasure to watch a team play together, switch between different sets/defenses and get the most out of underwhelming talent.

It's been 22 games, but man, wonder what this team would look like if Hop had taken over a year or two ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom