Coach for 50 years | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coach for 50 years

Professional bowlers are also insanely talented. I don’t watch their events.
To be fair most men don’t appreciate staring at a man’s derrière for ten frames.

I am worried about it because there’s an entire generation of kids that haven’t seen Cuse be a b-ball power, who mostly like the NBA. What happens when they’re the working adults and have far less attachment to the program?
That is my concern as well. Very very hard right now trying to get my kids into SU hoops. I can’t even get myself to watch it most of the time either. When I do I fast forward through most of it because it is just plain boring. It’s hard being so detached but what I hate more is that I’m losing a bonding opportunity with my kids - the SU connection I had with my dad and still have with my brothers has really kept us together through the ups and downs of life.

No hate here, I just can’t have him trying to stick
us with 3 more years of trying to tread water.
I’ll let him know next time we reminisce about our G-League days lol

D228D2A5-BE39-4D99-BC0C-AED1C76DB14F.png

I will miss him when he's gone. Hope he stays as long as he wants, and gets a chance to go out on a positive note, and hand the reigns to a great replacement.
Know what I miss? Syracuse basketball.

I think that belongs in the H0T Takes thread.
I can't stand watching the NBA and most pro leagues.

Sure it has the best players in the World but it is boring to me. I don't relate to the players. The fans generally are awful and the seasons are way too long.

(Despite the current issues) Give me college sports all day long.

If there was ever a year to leave it’s after this year. They have zero commitments for next year. They have one player interested in the program. The team will be the same mediocre team next year. There wouldn’t be a big hit in players transferring I don’t believe. And then it gives the next coach the right time to recruit. This program cannot get recruits when they don’t know who the coach is gonna be.
There are just so many signs that this is it. No recruits, ring of honor ceremony, no desire for a victory lap…

You are getting lost here. My comment was about if we are still here in 2026 with multiple poor seasons stacked up. Now you are changing the timeline.

Also you would be good to look at our actual attendance averages vs spouting off numbers.

UConn made a change and was aggressive about it.. they also won their 4th national title right before that. 4 titles... that matters a little bit. They have aggressively pursued improvement and not accepted unsatisfactory results. Once again - significant differences.

As for booster money, the point is the longer this drags out the more we need to rally recruits and transfers to the brand. Every year we fail to be relevant hurts. Thus since we aren't swimming in that money we need to be more aggressive like a UConn.

The rest of your post is wildly all over the place and still missing the mark.

I think you have a point...if we dance with mediocrity for another 3-4 seasons it becomes much harder to rebuild the fan base.

Look at Football? We lost 10-15K fans after a few bad years. We have never fully recovered.

UConn was very lucky their suckage was only a few seasons. We haven't had consistently awesome teams since 2014...our fan base for normal games is about 50% by my eyeballs. We need to make changes ASAP.

I think you have a point...if we dance with mediocrity for another 3-4 seasons it becomes much harder to rebuild the fan base.

Look at Football? We lost 10-15K fans after a few bad years. We have never fully recovered.

UConn was very lucky their suckage was only a few seasons. We haven't had consistently awesome teams since 2014...our fan base for normal games is about 50% by my eyeballs. We need to make changes ASAP.
As much as it pains me to say this, UConn also has more of a championship pedigree.

I can't stand watching the NBA and most pro leagues.

Sure it has the best players in the World but it is boring to me. I don't relate to the players. The fans generally are awful and the seasons are way too long.

(Despite the current issues) Give me college sports all day long.
I won't argue with that. I actually don't watch the NBA much except for the playoffs for that same reason, even though I won't argue the quality of the play. It's just hard for me to have much interest with no connection to the players or not having a team I am a die hard fan of. I'm a casual Celtics fan, which basically means I'll start watching their series during the playoffs.

The point I’m contesting is that Syracuse is forever losing their fanbase, and my response is: the fanbase can be won back very easily because they are the only show in town. My direct evidence is Syracuse football selling out games/drawing 40K+ crowd when they have success despite 20 years of mediocrity. Building a program in football is far harder than basketball and yet a half built machine was able to sell 48k tickets. What is the argument YOU are trying to make? That losing makes it harder to build back up a program, and it certainly does, but if a winner ever comes back into town, the dome will sell out.
181...CNY has always been a big event town.

The 1989-90 season Syracuse Basketball averaged almost 30K a game. Today if we had a top 10 team it'd be a legit 20K. There are way more options for fans now...we are approaching a decade where we have generally been out of the national picture.

Going to SU BB games are expensive and some folks will show up to a few select games but the hardcore base has declined.

We get back to Top 10 status...I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

This is Syracuse I don't care about the other 90% of the NCAA. We don't live in that area we live in the other 10% and for most teams in the 10% we live in would have fired their coach after the last 8 seasons without any major changes to the staff or the way they do things.

I don't care if Kansas State would be happy with our results. Kansas State isn't our peer group. This isn't football were we should be happy with a winning record or to be competitive. This is basketball were we have or had before the last 5 years a top 10% national program.

To not make drastic changes to keep the program at that level is actually a slap in the face to JB the person who created it.
Kansas St is better than us this season.

The 1989-90 season Syracuse Basketball averaged almost 30K a game. Today if we had a top 10 team it'd be a legit 20K. There are way more options for fans now...we are approaching a decade where we have generally been out of the national picture.

Going to SU BB games are expensive and some folks will show up to a few select games but the hardcore base has declined.

That’s a little cherry picked don’t you think, picking the highest attendance year in history? 2 years after that (1992) Syracuse only averaged 25K, throughout the late 90s they averaged 21-22k… Syracuse’s national championship year they only averaged 21k. Meanwhile Syracuse has averaged between 20-22k since 2014. Do I think Syracuse will set all time single season attendance records in the coming years even as a top 10 team? Only if the ACC dramatically improves as well.

Turn in your fan card now ;-)

Two of those natty were jokes though...but you have a point.

Cuse has the longevity and history and UConn had a great run over a relatively short period.

Their fanbase is still in need of an enema.
Sad thing is 10 years ago, I’d have been ripped to shreds for that post, but it barely registers now. That tells us a ton.

That’s a little cherry picked don’t you think, picking the highest attendance year in history? 2 years after that (1992) Syracuse only averaged 25K, throughout the late 90s they averaged 21-22k… Syracuse’s national championship year they only averaged 21k. Meanwhile Syracuse has averaged between 20-22k since 2014. Do I think Syracuse will set all time single season attendance records in the coming years even as a top 10 team? Only if the ACC dramatically improves as well.
Actual bodies is seats has declined remarkedly...despite saying there are 23K fans etc...

The few big event games as the exception

The prices are another thing….if you’re going to charge what they charge for good seats, the team has to be good.

Actual bodies is seats has declined remarkedly...despite saying there are 23K fans etc...

The few big event games as the exception
Yup. I was at a lot of games in 2003…..this years crowds are nowhere close.

Even in the smallest crowds, the upper level on the sideline was always full or close to it. This year, it’s mostly empty up there for most of these games. These are exhibition game level crowds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom