Color Me Concerned | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Color Me Concerned

College hoops is too watered down this year. There are no truly elite teams as in years past. And right now we don't pass the eye-test with our current level of play. We're constantly relinquishing double-digit leads, and squeaking by (or losing to) sub-par competition on the last possession of games, for far too long.

If I think back to teams of the past, man, our '89 team would absolutely destroy this year's team... that squad was held under 70 pts in only 4 of 38 games. 4! Where has all the offense gone?

You have to pick one - elite in history, or elite this season? My point was based on record and stats - and comparing them to other NCAA teams - we are the elite this year. Over history? Sure. I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 Syracuse teams in the past 10 years that could beat this one.

Probably 6-12. I really don't think we have one of the top 5 teams in the country.

Also, aliens have roamed the earth in disguise for nearly 50 years.

My giant brain.

VK8lvPz.png

These threads are funny, and that isn't to disrespect anyone on this forum. I am concerned of our health and some of these tight situations. It's understandable. But let's keep things in perspective. We have 26 wins. We have 2 losses. Would you have predicted this? We have a early season prediction thread in case people who are worrying now who might have posted there. I know I did ;)

But seriously, believe in this team. Trust me when I say from experience, the positive energy helps some of these kids. I think we are 1 of 4 or 5 teams considered to be the favorites for winning a national championship. So strange that we are 26-2 and people are jumping ship. And don't twist my words around with semantics. This is the perception you have created.

These threads are funny, and that isn't to disrespect anyone on this forum. I am concerned of our health and some of these tight situations. It's understandable. But let's keep things in perspective. We have 26 wins. We have 2 losses. Would you have predicted this? We have a early season prediction thread in case people who are worrying now who might have posted there. I know I did ;)

But seriously, believe in this team. Trust me when I say from experience, the positive energy helps some of these kids. I think we are 1 of 4 or 5 teams considered to be the favorites for winning a national championship. So strange that we are 26-2 and people are jumping ship. And don't twist my words around with semantics. This is the perception you have created.
In my bold prediction thread I predicted no more than 4 losses. I'm always an optimist with cuse hoops and yet we are still ahead of schedule.

we've been somewhat lucky to win so much with so many eggs laid (lain?) by the two guards. all depends on whether you think such crappy shooting will persist. it all comes down to where you sit on cooney. i'm on the fence but i certainly don't think it's ridiculous to be concerned. how far can you go scoring in the 50s?

Right now? Wichita, Florida, Virginia, Duke, Creighton Kansas, and even Wisconsin. All right now are playing better than us, and are playing closer to their potential.

If Duke is playing to the best of their ability and we only lost by 2 in a game that was given to them, we will be a powerhouse by the time we really start playing well.

we've been somewhat lucky to win so much with so many eggs laid (lain?) by the two guards. all depends on whether you think such crappy shooting will persist. it all comes down to where you sit on cooney. i'm on the fence but i certainly don't think it's ridiculous to be concerned. how far can you go scoring in the 50s?
Tell me the last time we didn't shoot like crap in February ?

How far did we get last year scoring in the 50's? Cooney will start playing better. Shooters go hot and cold. He needs to learn to attack the hoop when hes cold, but when he starts making shots again, and he will, we win last nights game by 10 to 15. For all the crap hes getting on the board, him along with CJ hit one of the two biggest shots in the game last night. Listen I'm not saying Cooney is Reggie Miller, but theres history of him shooting the ball really well, which makes me confident he will again. The fact he hit that shot to put us up 56-50 shows me he has the cajones to produce when we need him.

cusetown1 said:
Tell me the last time we didn't shoot like crap in February ?

2011-2012 season we were pretty good in February.

I know I'll be criticized for this post but such is life...

I am very concerned with this team right now.

*Cooney is starting to look very one dimensional and when that dimension is shut down, then what does he give us? His defense is overrated. He has slow feet and he and Ennis allow way too much dribble penetration. He made one huge shot tonight but even that felt like a prayer.

*Way too much isolation offense. CJ forces a lot and if he's off, we are cooked. Tonight he was more on than off.

*Grant is hurt. Back problems linger and this is a guy that hits the deck a half dozen times a game.

*Christmas is still inconsistent. He is what he is but it's frustrating. Total goose egg from him tonight.

*Baye's able to play on the knee but he still has the same hands. I love his heart but his offense is not there and never will be.

*G is not the spark we need off the bench. He's made a few shots but his handle is terrible. He commits bad turnovers.

*Every game is a heart attack. We never put people away. This could be our final downfall in the tourney.

*Our FT shooting is still an issue.

I hope we turn it around but these are legit issues.

Please talk me off the ledge with real insights. Just typing 26-2 isn't going to cut it. I'm starting to lower my expectations and that sucks. My one solace is that all teams have issues.

LGO. Make me believe again.

First of all...never worry about being criticized.
Especially when you are RIGHT ON POINT.

I would add that even TE is showing signs of being a mere human.

Right now this is not a top 5 team.
Not close.

But come off the ledge...because there are no dominant teams this year.
We're one of about a dozen teams that has a legitimate shot to clear the deck.
Better that we get the bugs out now.
Time to get healthy...and get back to playing our game.

Oh...and it would be nice if Cooney could get open off screens once in a while.

How far did we get last year scoring in the 50's? Cooney will start playing better. Shooters go hot and cold. He needs to learn to attack the hoop when hes cold, but when he starts making shots again, and he will, we win last nights game by 10 to 15. For all the crap hes getting on the board, him along with CJ hit one of the two biggest shots in the game last night. Listen I'm not saying Cooney is Reggie Miller, but theres history of him shooting the ball really well, which makes me confident he will again. The fact he hit that shot to put us up 56-50 shows me he has the cajones to produce when we need him.
7 games in a row 61 or less

we didn't have a stretch this bad on offense last year

cusetown1 said:
That team was more fast break offense. Shooting wasn't needed as much.

Dion shot the ball pretty well, Triche shot the ball pretty well, Scoop shot the ball pretty well, Kris Joseph shot the ball well, Southerland shot the ball well.

... ... ... Oh...and it would be nice if Cooney could get open off screens once in a while.

I used to think that too , unfortunately he missed a lot of open shots last night (3-13 over all & 2-10 from 3 with one absolute clutch jumper near the end). Let's right that ship and the 12 foot jumper too. Every team goes thru a lull, I just hope we snap out of it and finish strong. Happy our lull find us 26 & 2.

GO ORANGE

7 games in a row 61 or less

we didn't have a stretch this bad on offense last year

Less possessions this year by about 4 per game. Last year we played 3 games against Georgetown and had 47,39, and 58 points. The 58 came in OT. We beat Alcorn State with 57 and held them to 36. We lost to Louisville with 53 points at home. Beat Cincy with 57, and finally won with 55 to get to the final four, where we lost to Michigan scoring 56. So yes we were NOT good on offense last year.

If I think back to teams of the past, man, our '89 team would absolutely destroy this year's team... that squad was held under 70 pts in only 4 of 38 games. 4!
I see this kind of quote quite often on here, and I think it's a bit of revisionist history. Though those teams of that era were incredibly talented, they turned the ball over alot, went long stretches during games where their offense was non-existent, and didn't play nearly the defense that our recent teams play. The game has changed, and for our team now to score like those teams then I think we would be changing our makeup and comprimising alot of things that are making us currently successful...

Less possessions this year by about 4 per game. Last year we played 3 games against Georgetown and had 47,39, and 58 points. The 58 came in OT. We beat Alcorn State with 57 and held them to 36. We lost to Louisville with 53 points at home. Beat Cincy with 57, and finally won with 55 to get to the final four, where we lost to Michigan scoring 56. So yes we were NOT good on offense last year.
we have something to do with possessions. it's not all the opposition. carter williams got us more easy baskets than ennis does.

I see better ball movement this year on offense but some more streaky shooting obviously. We still have that problem of tunnel vision to the rim and not finding a cutter or better option with a pass. Rak has had a horrendous 3 game stretch and we can't have that moving forward. The ability for him to score easily in the paint will be crucial for the team moving forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom