Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

He needs to wait and see how many hundred other guys decide to declare early, all expecting to make it.
Murry from kentucky did.

And some guy ranked the top propects from the Final 4 teams and Richardson was not even mentioned and he said" Lydon has the most upside of all the players left"

The one I didn't get was Jerami Grant. He could have been a star if he stayed one more year. The rest I understand.

The reason I could see Grant going was that he was projected in the first round all year. He was always an athlete first and not the best basketball player. He was here for two years, another year of him not developing a jumper he would have had to be lights out in ever other area of his game which is just too much risk. If he stayed he either doesn't get drafted or maybe bumps up to the end of the first round. Just didn't see him as a lottery pick unless he improved everything, including his shot, which is hard to do in such a short time.

yep and I believe (as per one of Francis's recent pods) the timing would be just about right - Diallo's '16 eligibility won't become clear until at least late May
Don't toy with us!! That would make a Mal loss a lot easier to stomach.

We're going to be loaded with underclassmen next year -- Howard, Mali, Lydon, Battle, Moyer.

Woah, thats exciting

I thought this was a typo and was referring to Diange...because i was like " it makes no sense that Cheik would reclassify"

*checks recruiting board*

OOOOOOOHHHH

Murry from kentucky did.

And some guy ranked the top propects from the Final 4 teams and Richardson was not even mentioned and he said" Lydon has the most upside of all the players left"
I agree with that as far as our team goes.

Lydon is the only guy on our team who I think has realistic NBA all star game potential. He's got a long way to go, but the tools are all there.

I think Mal has a shot to be a nice rotation player, but Lydon looks like the best prospect to me.

Don't toy with us!! That would make a Mal loss a lot easier to stomach.

We're going to be loaded with underclassmen next year -- Howard, Mali, Lydon, Battle, Moyer.
Don't forget Chukwu. I believe he only played one season at Providence so technically he is only a sophomore. Still has three years of eligibility left.

PG: Howard
SG: Battle
F: Lydon
F: Roberson
C: Coleman

F: Moyer
C: Chukwu
G: Joseph
Joseph? No wonder the staff has interest in that 5th year transfer guard from Columbia.
Mali leaving? Is he in a hurry to get a 2nd round non-guaranteed contract and a ticket to the D league? So foolish. In another year he will be a guaranteed 1st rounder. Hope he listens to some better advice.

Who would give a 6'4 shooting guard who shot 37% a guarantee though?

With McCullough that type of thing makes sense...he was viewed as a potential lottery pick down the road, and thus a possible "steal" late in the first round. Malachi doesn't have any special size or athleticism for his position that makes him especially intruiging. He's a guy that if he's going to be good, has to make shots. Period. He showed flashes of being able to do that at a high level, but he's got a lot way to go as far as NBA level is concerned. I don't see how he's much different than say, Eric Devendorf, after his freshman year. Maybe an inch or two taller, but a worse shooter/finisher...but with that same confidence and knack to absolutely fill it up when hot.

Except he was twice measured at 6'5 with a 6'11 /7'0 wing span. He is nearly prototypical SG size in the NBA. I also seriously doubt this is as good as a shooter as he will be. He will eventually be a very good 2 in the NBA. If you need one and there isn't one better, you draft him. It's too hard to get players through Free Agency anymore for most teams.

I wouldn't be mad if he went. I think he will be a good NBA player and I'd take him mid-late first round without hesitation.

It's just really getting frustrating that the second one of our freshman players gets a 1st Round Grade they're gone, meanwhile UNC has a senior Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige.

Id say UNC is the team we most recruit like. We don't get the Top 10 players Duke gets and we don't recruit smaller quicker players like Louisville. Much like UNC, we recruit long, athletic Top 50 players. That's a recipe to being a good/great team year in/year out but unlike UNC, our players bolt after one year while they have an arsenal of upperclassmen.

I think the UNC cheerleaders help keep them on campus...

Except he was twice measured at 6'5 with a 6'11 /7'0 wing span. He is nearly prototypical SG size in the NBA. I also seriously doubt this is as good as a shooter as he will be. He will eventually be a very good 2 in the NBA. If you need one and there isn't one better, you draft him. It's too hard to get players through Free Agency anymore for most teams.

Everything I've seen says he's 6'3 1/2, and 6'5 1/2 in shoes. Not small, but nothing special. He shot 37%, struggled for long stretches, does not finish consistently around the basket, and is not an explosive athlete.

On the positive, he has the potential to make shots regardless of the defender, has a quick first step, and plays with a lot of confidence. He improves his finishing ability, improves his mid range game, and shoots the ball more consistently and look out. I think there's too many holes right now. Don't see him getting on an NBA court much next yea, unless Philly picks him. They'll play any warm body(see Elton fricken Brand playing 22 minutes for them last night, lol).

Everything I've seen says he's 6'3 1/2, and 6'5 1/2 in shoes. Not small, but nothing special. He shot 37%, struggled for long stretches, does not finish consistently around the basket, and is not an explosive athlete.

On the positive, he has the potential to make shots regardless of the defender, has a quick first step, and plays with a lot of confidence. He improves his finishing ability, improves his mid range game, and shoots the ball more consistently and look out. I think there's too many holes right now. Don't see him getting on an NBA court much next yea, unless Philly picks him. They'll play any warm body(see Elton fricken Brand playing 22 minutes for them last night, lol).
First, he doesn't have to get on the court next year...or the year after. He still gets paid while he improves. Second, everyone is measured in shoes these days and he is NBA SG size. He has the ability to get his shot off and that is big. The combine will tell the story.

Mali leaving? Is he in a hurry to get a 2nd round non-guaranteed contract and a ticket to the D league? So foolish. In another year he will be a guaranteed 1st rounder. Hope he listens to some better advice.
Again, if this is true, that with another year Malachi is a guaranteed 1st rounder, wouldn't an NBA team be pretty smart to invest a late 1st round draft choice in him?

Malachi appears to be a very smart young man. Hopefully, he'll allow adults to contribute to his decision. He needs one more year.

First, he doesn't have to get on the court next year...or the year after. He still gets paid while he improves. Second, everyone is measured in shoes these days and he is NBA SG size. He has the ability to get his shot off and that is big. The combine will tell the story.

Disagree. Guys who don't get on the court often get quickly forgotten about and pushed aside for the next guys coming in.

The NBA isn't sitting around waiting for guys to develop unless they were really high picks. LOTS of competition for those spots, and once you get labelled, you're pretty much screwed.

You know how many late first round picks never really get on the court and then are out of the league for good in a couple years?

As much as I'd like him to stay, I don't think he will. How many of these guys do? Very few.
The siren call of the NBA is too tough for a young basketball player with a life long dream to play there to resist.

I really think it's that simple.

Again, if this is true, that with another year Malachi is a guaranteed 1st rounder, wouldn't an NBA team be pretty smart to invest a late 1st round draft choice in him?

You saw this same thing happen with McCullough.

He will be lucky to remain an NBA player after three years, in my opinion.

Malachi is a different (and I think better) player. But in my humble opinion, kids are better served to stay in school and play 30 minutes a game rather than play in the D League or sit on the bench.

I have to disagree on this one. Who shot a better % from 3 this year? Grayson did. Who was able to drive the lane and flush it on opponents? Grayson was. List for me the times Mal had the nba athleticism where he was able to drive the lane and dunk on people? It was few and far between, hardly ever. I love Mal, but if he wants to be as good as Grayson he needs to come back for one more year and prove it.

Grayson is obviously a better player now, but that wasn't really what I was saying. Unfortunately, playing in the NBA is a lot more than being a great jump shooter or getting by NCAA guards using the same 'Get one step on your defender while driving to the right, put your shoulder down for three steps, and finish at rim' every time you go to the hoop.

I feel like Grayson was able to dominate the game in college for a few reasons. He was one of the most physically impressive Guards in the game this year. He's tall, strong as hell, has great straightline speed, and good hops. He has a nice first step to get into the lane on less physically impressive defenders and uses his size advantages to hold smaller defenders off while getting to the basket.

I don't think that Grayson is going to be able to rely on his first step and physical advantages in the NBA. If you take that away from him, you have a very good shooter that otherwise doesn't create too much for himself. He's not an excellent ballhandler, he doesn't have elite passing skills, he's not extremely creative when finding his own shot. He has below average lateral quickness. He kind of seems like the typical guard who will dominate the college game but struggle to find his niche in the NBA. He's also had the advantage of playing almost two years under an elite coach and in elite training.

As for Mal, I think it's pretty obvious why the NBA would love his potential. No he doesn't get to 'the lane and dunk on people', but that's not really what 2 guards do in the NBA... He needs a ton of work physically, but he's got a pretty good handle for a lanky 6'6" guard. He's very quick and moves well laterally. He can slither into the lane, but avoids contact around the rim (which should improve when he gets stronger), and he has the ability to freeze his defenders on the dribble to create space to get his shot off.

I don't think Mal will ever be as good of a college basketball player Grayson (I don't think it'd be bizarre to see Allen average 25P 6R and 4A next year), but I also think Allen's gonna struggle at the next level where Mal's skills and quickness may be advantageous.

Grayson is obviously a better player now, but that wasn't really what I was saying. Unfortunately, playing in the NBA is a lot more than being a great jump shooter or getting by NCAA guards using the same 'Get one step on your defender while driving to the right, put your shoulder down for three steps, and finish at rim' every time you go to the hoop.

I feel like Grayson was able to dominate the game in college for a few reasons. He was one of the most physically impressive Guards in the game this year. He's tall, strong as hell, has great straightline speed, and good hops. He has a nice first step to get into the lane on less physically impressive defenders and uses his size advantages to hold smaller defenders off while getting to the basket.

I don't think that Grayson is going to be able to rely on his first step and physical advantages in the NBA. If you take that away from him, you have a very good shooter that otherwise doesn't create too much for himself. He's not an excellent ballhandler, he doesn't have elite passing skills, he's not extremely creative when finding his own shot. He has below average lateral quickness. He kind of seems like the typical guard who will dominate the college game but struggle to find his niche in the NBA. He's also had the advantage of playing almost two years under an elite coach and in elite training.

As for Mal, I think it's pretty obvious why the NBA would love his potential. No he doesn't get to 'the lane and dunk on people', but that's not really what 2 guards do in the NBA... He needs a ton of work physically, but he's got a pretty good handle for a lanky 6'6" guard. He's very quick and moves well laterally. He can slither into the lane, but avoids contact around the rim (which should improve when he gets stronger), and he has the ability to freeze his defenders on the dribble to create space to get his shot off.

I don't think Mal will ever be as good of a college basketball player Grayson (I don't think it'd be bizarre to see Allen average 25P 6R and 4A next year), but I also think Allen's gonna struggle at the next level where Mal's skills and quickness may be advantageous.
You make many very good points. I see both Mal and Grayson as borderline 1st round picks. Will be very interesting to see if either comes back next year. You seem to infer GA will be back next year, should be interesting...

Mal has the mechanics to get to a good shooting percentage in the NBA.

He has a decent handle and a pretty good jab step.

He has all the tools to be a SG and small ball SF.

He's not going to be a 10x all star, but he's been on NBA radars a lot longer than just this tourney run.
If he goes, he goes.

You saw this same thing happen with McCullough.

He will be lucky to remain an NBA player after three years, in my opinion.

Malachi is a different (and I think better) player. But in my humble opinion, kids are better served to stay in school and play 30 minutes a game rather than play in the D League or sit on the bench.
Look, most people are lucky to be an NBA player after three years. The trick is becoming an NBA player in the first place. If guys can do that, they should. The financial imbalance between a college player and a pro (not even NBA) is so huge.

The fans are better served...questionable if kids are better served playing for free.

Look, most people are lucky to be an NBA player after three years. The trick is becoming an NBA player in the first place. If guys can do that, they should. The financial imbalance between a college player and a pro (not even NBA) is so huge.

I get it - but it's an investment for the kid. And not a bad one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom