How things might unfold next | Syracusefan.com

How things might unfold next

RF2044

Living Legend
Now that this initial flurry of official visits have taken place, here's how it seems to be shaping up:
  • Westry didn't commit -- he is pursuing other options, which might include playing overseas for pay. Our coaching staff was on this kid early, and had more than a puncher's chance, but it appears that his handlers are driving the bus. When he left campus without committing, I think that was a sign he was moving on.
  • Copeland LOVED his visit. He's ours if we want him.
  • JJ also visited over the weekend, and with Westry seemingly out, he appears to have vaulted to the top of the guard pecking order. Coaches pitched him on the idea of being a scoring point who could play ALONGSIDE Taylor.
  • If I had to guess, I'd expect that the most likely outcome is getting Starling OR Copeland. Unless Copeland is undeterred and / or doesn't mind potentially having to wait his turn for a year, which he might not be willing to do.
  • It's been a LONG time since we've been in a position where we've had so many of our top of the board candidates as legitimate prospective "gets," that we are losing sight of the forest through the trees in a first world problem kind of way. For example:
    • It is unlikely that we were ever going to sign four guards / wings -- 3 has always been far more likely [and we currently have 2 in the fold]
    • Westry / Copeland might be a "first to commit" situation @ point guard
    • The question is whether Copeland is confident enough to compete, and sign here anyway

Now that this initial flurry of official visits have taken place, here's how it seems to be shaping up:
  • Westry didn't commit -- he is pursuing other options, which might include playing overseas for pay. Our coaching staff was on this kid early, and had more than a puncher's chance, but it appears that his handlers are driving the bus. When he left campus without committing, I think that was a sign he was moving on.
  • JJ also visited over the weekend, and with Westry seemingly out, he appears to have vaulted to the top of the guard pecking order. Coaches pitched him on the idea of being a scoring point who could play ALONGSIDE Taylor.
  • If I had to guess, I'd expect that the most likely outcome is getting Starling OR Copeland. Unless Copeland is undeterred and / or doesn't mind potentially having to wait his turn for a year, which he might not be willing to do.
  • It's been a LONG time since we've been in a position where we've had so many of our top of the board candidates as legitimate prospective "gets," that we are losing sight of the forest through the trees in a first world problem kind of way. For example:
    • It is unlikely that we were ever going to sign four guards / wings -- 3 has always been far more likely [and we currently have 2 in the fold]
    • The question is whether Copeland is confident enough to compete, and sign here anyway
One of JJ/Q/Chance would be my guess. Whoever that one is, plus Taylor plus Joe - that’s the 3 guard rotation. Can’t see JB playing more than that. Lands, if he comes, can swing 2-3-4. Flip is the key to take the class from really good to potentially great.

one of these guys may have already committed to the staff yesterday and is getting a commitment announcement together. The staff knew Taylor was coming here well before Saturday. Or more than one and they each want to have their day in the sun.

One of JJ/Q/Chance would be my guess. Whoever that one is, plus Taylor plus Joe - that’s the 3 guard rotation. Can’t see JB playing more than that. Lands, if he comes, can swing 2-3-4. Flip is the key to take the class from really good to potentially great.
It will be JJ or Copeland. I hope its Copeland. Also have to think that the Cling is a loooong shot. Flip is gonna be a nail bitter but i think we end up with him as we are a perfect fit. As to Chance i hope that he makes a good decision for himself unlike Green. Last point the talent level is so close on all of these kids that if im JB i take the one that wants us. The prettiest girl in HS doesnt always age well.

JJ

It will be JJ or Copeland. I hope its Copeland. Also have to think that the Cling is a loooong shot. Flip is gonna be a nail bitter but i think we end up with him as we are a perfect fit. As to Chance i hope that he makes a good decision for himself unlike Green. Last point the talent level is so close on all of these kids that if im JB i take the one that wants us. The prettiest girl in HS doesnt always age well.
Either works but JJ has much bigger offers - it’s much more important to get him sooner. Copeland can still commit early as well before he blows up at IMG

While any one the recruits might be considering an early verbal commitment, they have other factors to consider before deciding on where to play. Sentimental factors may or may play into their decision. I feel that Quadir displayed a lot of interest in the university. I thought previously Chance had that interest in playing for Syracuse. Both left without commitment. JJ seemed to displayed an attitude or air of confidence but can not read if he has the same interest in playing for the Cuse.

Regarding Flip, he will have tons of schools interested in him. If he is not 100% sure that he wants to play at Syracuse then he needs to investigate the opportunities (except for Duke) presented to him. The same applies to Clingan.

Believe while we have 5-6 openings, we will fill 4 of them for sure. We have 2 Combo G/Fs already signed. We need to sign a top proven PG prospect, and a real PF or C Similar to Roc Christmas but only more ready to play/contribute in their freshman year.

I’ve said it before but my personal opinion is that Copeland is more a PG right now than the other two who I see as combos right now who can become PGs. Doesn’t mean Copeland is the better player as that’s anyone’s guess as how the 3 rank in our system.

I'm curious because I've read this before in other threads that he's ours if we want him but then often later it's stated that it's about whoever pulls the trigger first. If he's our if we want him, then it's not about who pulls the trigger first, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

I'm disappointed about Chance but I've moved on. We have so much positive stuff happening right now. Sucks, but with this kind of talent we're recruiting, we will be more than fine.

I'm curious because I've read this before in other threads that he's ours if we want him but then often later it's stated that it's about whoever pulls the trigger first. If he's our if we want him, then it's not about who pulls the trigger first, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

I am wondering about the same thing. Any chance that Copeland wants to commit but only if cuse stop recruiting for that position for 2022 once he does, and if not, he remains uncommitted and see how things play out with chance and JJ? Is that a likely scenerios?

I'm disappointed about Chance but I've moved on. We have so much positive stuff happening right now. Sucks, but with this kind of talent we're recruiting, we will be more than fine.

Fair question. The coaching staff is prioritizing JJ over Copeland, so they didn't press him to commit on the trip. The consensus internal to the program is that Copeland [and family] were ready to do so. So, they told him all positive stuff, but encouraged him to take his time making the decision.

They put the full court press on JJ this weekend. They pushed hard for him to commit. Deliberations are underway. If he drags his feet, doesn't commit, or wants to slow roll, then they'll move on and Copeland rises in the pecking order.

Best case scenario: JJ commits, Copeland is undeterred and comes anyway.

Fair question. The coaching staff is prioritizing JJ over Copeland, so they didn't press him to commit on the trip. The consensus internal to the program is that Copeland [and family] were ready to do so. So, they told him all positive stuff, but encouraged him to take his time making the decision.

They put the full court press on JJ this weekend. They pushed hard for him to commit. Deliberations are underway. If he drags his feet, doesn't commit, or wants to slow roll, then they'll move on and Copeland rises in the pecking order.

If the best case scenario happens, we will be so lucky. What a squad that would be. Depth at all positions, and not just bodies, legitimate players two deep at every position. With versatility and complimentary skills all round. I know it won't happen, but we could press all game long and have fresh players ready to come in every 8 minutes and we would lose very little from the starters.

As mentioned above, first the domino with JJ needs to topple our way. Then Copeland would have to bet on himself and pull the trigger.

Really hope it happens. Westry who?
Yeah, I love Westry, but if the choice is Westry (likely one year player) or both JJ and Copeland (both likely multiyear players) then sign me up for option number 2, and I would do a freaking dance.

honestly take both JJ and Copeland.

Of course. The coaches would gladly take 2 if they could land both. But recruiting is a two-way street, and not all players are willing to potentially wait a year [or more] for a path to a starting role.

In the event that they only might land one [along with Taylor / Lands] -- the most likely scenario, given Taylor's recent pledge -- then JJ is the staffs' higher priority. If we can't get JJ, we take Copeland in a heartbeat, and the full court press immediately goes on to land him.

But if they feel that they can land Copeland AFTER JJ commits, of course the coaching staff will pursue him on top of JJ.

Of course. The coaches would gladly take 2 if they could land both.

But in the event that they only might land one [along with Taylor / Lands], then JJ is a higher priority. If we can't get JJ, we take Copeland in a heartbeat, and the full court press goes on to land him.

But if they feel that they can land Copeland AFTER JJ commits, of course the coaching staff will pursue him on top of JJ. But recruiting is a two-way street, and not all players are willing to potentially wait a year [or more] for a path to a starting role.
Get in there, brother, make it happen.

Well making Q wait is an absolute recipe for disaster. Dejavu, been down this road TOO MANY times. We aren't in a position to not make Q a priority. Ugh. Just dumb, good chance we lose both ...waiting on the guy never works out well for us. Well we can always convert someone else to play point that cant dribble. Just venting RF, theres nothing wrong with your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom