Howard Washington | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

81South

2017 Iggy Winner, Back to Back Iggy Winner
Was/Is he hurt? I don’t remember him getting in last night...even in garbage time.

Was/Is he hurt? I don’t remember him getting in last night...even in garbage time.

He played one minute. if he's not hurt, he without a doubt should be playing more than some others on the roster who are logging minutes. If he is not hurt, I fear his lack of playing time may have an impact on team morale (since he is very well liked)

Cuse

HoWash didn't play when Frank was out, now that Frank is back he probably won't have much of a role at all. Someone asked JB about him after the Oregon presser I believe and JB was pretty dismissive of it.

We probably won't see much of him this year unless something really bad happens

He played one minute. if he's not hurt, he without a doubt should be playing more than some others on the roster who are logging minutes. If he is not hurt, I fear his lack of playing time may have an impact on team morale (since he is very well liked)

Cuse
Eh. It may bother HoWash but I don't think it will hurt team morale. No one was a bigger 'Cuse fan and more well liked than Matt Moyer. His PT was pretty much nothing down the stretch last year and he ended up leaving. It didn't seem to effect team morale or his best friend, Tyus, who came back this year.

This type of stuff happens at every school

I noticed he went in for about 30 seconds and then got taken out when Boeheim emptied the bench at the 2:12 mark. Seemed very unfair to him unless he had been hurt. Saw him on the bench visibly upset and holding a towel on his head and then against his face. Thought maybe he had gotten hit in the face and that is why he came out but after looking at the replay I did not see any contact. I like him and think he can contribute so I feel bad for him.

Barring injury, Washington and Buddy figure to be the ninth and tenth men on this team in some order as the season unfolds. Buddy will play when JB is looking for shooting and Washington will play when he needs someone with point guard skills out there.

I'm sure Washington isn't too upset that he didn't get a few extra minutes with the walk-ons at the end of that game.

I thought it was totally unfair that Washington pkayed for 30 seconds before being replaced for a walk on. Washington deserves a lot better than that. He should be playing ahead of Buddy. Buddy has done nothing since playing against Divsion 2 exhibition teams.

Barring injury, Washington and Buddy figure to be the ninth and tenth men on this team in some order as the season unfolds. Buddy will play when JB is looking for shooting and Washington will play when he needs someone with point guard skills out there.

I'm sure Washington isn't too upset that he didn't get a few extra minutes with the walk-ons at the end of that game.

I think you need to re-watch his demeanor during the last two minutes of the game. He was being consoled by a teammate and rubbing his head in frustration.

Its hard seeing him not get a chance to play when we had nearly a 30 point lead at one time. These boys work hard and they deserve chances when they arise...I would think last night there was a really good chance for him.

I know it probably doesn’t bother some but you have to feel for the players when this happens.

I think a lot of us feel bad for guys that sit the bench. But the reality is that HW took a huge gamble by coming to Syracuse. He is a mid-major player and when JC signed, he was destined for two years on the bench.
I hope he stays as well but with BB here, JG and Goodine on the way and a 2020 PG a priority he has to see the writing on the wall.

I think a lot of us feel bad for guys that sit the bench. But the reality is that HW took a huge gamble by coming to Syracuse. He is a mid-major player and when JC signed, he was destined for two years on the bench.
I hope he stays as well but with BB here, JG and Goodine on the way and a 2020 PG a priority he has to see the writing on the wall.

I'd be shocked if he beat out JG next fall. But competition is good. Make Girard beat out a Junior with 2 years in the system.

Its a shame he is not 100% because we'd have seen what we have these first few games JB would have played him until Frankie came back.

Honestly I thought he was bad last year before the injury and if healthy I don't think he would have come in for Frankie vs MSU and made the plays Bayer made.

Last edited:
If a redshirt isn't on the table, Washington should not get bumped off the court during garbage time by walk-ons. I understand that walk-ons are paying their way through school and it's a way to reward them, but why does that have to come at the expense of a guy good enough to get a scholarship?

We all knew when he was recruited that Washington was not going to get a real crack at playing time until his junior or senior season. But why not get him some game experience now against the bad teams?

I think you need to re-watch his demeanor during the last two minutes of the game. He was being consoled by a teammate and rubbing his head in frustration.
He's the ninth or tenth man on this team. He will probably get his chance to play some meaningful minutes at some point this season due to foul trouble or injury, or when JB wants his ball handling skills on the court. He needs to keep his head up and be ready, and I'm sure he will.

HW and braswell not redshirting is baffling. Especially with Quincy coming in mid season. Makes no sense for them to waste a year. They were never seeing the floor this year

I can't believe they let Washington play this soon ... and without even a knee brace. Didn't think he would play before late December. He isn't going to see much if any time though behind Frank and Jalen Cary.

I can't believe they let Washington play this soon ... and without even a knee brace. Didn't think he would play before late December. He isn't going to see much if any time though behind Frank and Jalen Cary.
Exactly. Why isn’t he redshirting. Makes zero sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom