Iron Sheik has left the building | Syracusefan.com

Iron Sheik has left the building

WWE (or was it WWF, or was it WWWF) valued the intellect of its audience so much that when the US went to war with Iraq, the Iron Sheik, who had always been billed as being from Iran, overnight changed his allegiance to Iraq. Iran, Iraq. Tomato, tomahto.

Here's a cool Iron Sheik story on how he and his 'mortal enemy' Hacksaw Jim Duggan both got busted for pot possession while driving on the Garden State Parkway:

"Iran Number Vun, USA khack ptui!"

The Iron Sheik and his tag team partner, Nikolai Volkov, were great heels. What a schtick.

Before each match: "Nikolai Volkov requests that you all stand and pay respect while he sings the Soviet national anthem..."

Crowd going berserk during the height of the cold war, throwing beer on Nikolai as he belts out some foreign words -- who knows if that was even Russian, let alone the USSR national anthem. Didn't matter.

Then, when he was done, Iron Sheik rips the mike out of the announcers hands and goes into the comments you stated: "Russia #1... Iran #1... USA ha ptui!"

Crowd goes even crazier.

Every single match, never got old, never failed to induce the desired response from the crowd.

Gold.

Last edited:
I just watched the A&E Legends of WWE on him Sunday night. He was looking rough, but I think he probably outlived anyone's expectations.

It's well worth the 2 hours. Details his early days in Iran/Olympics, to the Verne Gagne days, the WWE heel days (his pinnacle) and life after wrestling which was dark and tragic in many ways.

RIP to one of my favorite Twitter accounts. He will put the Hulk Hogan in the camel clutch and make him humble baby!

Foul language warning, but this video when he goes off on Michael Richards (after his racist comments to hecklers during stand up routine) is amazing.

Funny part is that he throws in a brief aside about how he respects “Newman”. Amazing!

Loved that guy, RIP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom