JB and a Plan ??? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple thoughts after reading the quotes.

1- he says he promised the new recruits he would coach them next year. So what is he going to tell the kids he recruits when he is about to retire? Come play for us next year when I’m no longer the coach?

2- he is going to retire at the end of a year like Roy Williams. So if he doesn’t recruit kids because he knows he won’t be here and doesn’t want to tell them he will coach them, does that leave us with a wasted year of recruiting? The new coach would be extremely behind and it would be a lost year

3- with that said, that tells me unfortunately that it is probably an “in-house” candidate. So either autry or red. Which I am personally not a fan of. They have been our assistance during this recent slide and poor performance.

4- If Jim thinks one of these assistant coaches are actually our future. And he respects them so much, why will he not speak to them during games? In my opinion you can’t say on one hand they are great options to be a head coach, but then not take /listen to any of their inputs during a game. That doesn’t show that you have a whole lot of faith in their ideas or opinions.

I’m good with Autry. Red, not so much. ;):)

Wait, so JB actually called into the show to announce this? Does he not think next year's recruiting class will ask the same question-i.e. if he'll be back? How is he helping recruiting by talking about a mysterious plan that he won't reveal?
I am guessing they know the plan. They have been keyed in...

The Sky Is Falling Reaction GIF

I didn't listen to it live. I caught the second hour of the show where brent played some excerpts. I've now listened to the whole interview, (from the 7-minute mark to the 25 minute mark

My observations:

- The incident with Julie had nothing to do with this and the 'plan' has been in place for some time. He called in response to Brent's article from Monday:
Axe: Jim Boeheim will always think he's the right man for the job
'The conversation' with Wildhack has already taken place.

- I still think the "ironclad plan" includes an internal promotion and the next coach has already been chosen. Autry would have left already if it's not him. I have no idea how good a coach he'll be but we'll go to an outsider only if he doesn't work out.

- The winning season streak will not be the basis for any decision making.

- He continues to insist that we haven't had any bad or mediocre seasons in the last 8 years, (he said 9 years). He said that he evaluates seasons based on what you do in the post-season. it would be 'nice' to have a good regular season, too. I agree that we haven't had a bad season yet. We found out about bad seasons when G-Rob took over for Coach P. But we have certainly been having mediocre season if you think of Syracuse as an elite program as most of us do and the fear is that we'll continue going downhill. Also, as I've said before, my idea of a good season is when we are ranked and dreaming of another national title for four months, not a couple of good weeks in March.

- He's not afraid of scaring off recruits by talking of retirement because rosters are so fluid anyway, there's no point in promising, as Joe Paterno used to, that he'll at least be coaching another four years. he used the term "shuffled", an obvious reference to poker, where you get a new hand to play each game. A college basketball coach these days gets a new hand to play each year.

- He is seriously considering going back to playing both zone and man for man because he feels the personnel he'll have last year will be athletic enough to do it. He didn't say it, but I think the stresses a zone faces with all the shooters teams have these days has caused him to rethink being 100% committed to the zone, which only dates from the 2009 LeMoyne game. (What I'd really like to see is more proactive use of defensive pressure.)

- He lumped Cole Swider with his sons as players who are leaving because that's what Cole told him at the beginning of the year. he now acknowledges that Cole is thinking about coming back. He said that Cole played man-to-man at Villanova but they had him trying to switch off on a guard which he won't have to do here. If Cole does come back, Jim likes the combination of veteran players and young players we'll have: Jesse, Frank, (John Bol?), Cole, Benny, (who he said would be great at MTM), Joe, Symir and then Peter, Maliq, Chris, Jusitn, Quadir, and maybe Judah. He wants to play that hand.

I think his comments are a big nothingburger and could fall under the “jb says things” umbrella.

Oh great there’s a “plan in place”. What the hell are we supposed to glean from that?

BigNastyJon has put a plan in place to drop 20 pounds by the final four and start showering daily. Will report back in April.

For those saying it must be internal, I disagree. While he said it wouldn’t be his decision who the next coach is, he said he’d have a say in the process. Meaning no decision has been made yet.

For those saying it must be internal, I disagree. While he said it wouldn’t be his decision who the next coach is, he said he’d have a say in the process. Meaning no decision hasn’t been made yet.
3D chess in that sentence.

The guy can't keep his trap shut. That's about all I learned from this thread.

Nothing wrong with what he said. And it may not have been his sole decision to say something.

“The plan”
What a worker this guy is.
Bunch of marks here eating it up
During the preseason JB talking about his future made no references to a plan.
When he was asked after the Duke game about his future didn’t reference a plan.

I think JB and JW had a talk on Tuesday and JB wants to be a good soldier and realizes the frustration within the fanbase and he doesn’t want to hurt the current recruiting class even though I personally would be fine losing it if JB retired and we hired the best candidate we could and let them build the roster.

So coach has said or implied recently:

- there is an “ironclad” plan for his transition (mind you, this is after a blown transition already)

- we are going to mix in M2M

- compliments Benny and Cole and Joe on M2M

- we’ll be getting Mintz (in a round about way saying this)

- best class ever

This seems like a guy trying to put out fires. Whether it’s his own doing, or JW making him, or a combo - this seems like a greatest hits of “no, it’s really going to be ok!”

Really hope I’m wrong and there has truly been a plan and JW is in charge, but this reeks of someone having support diminish and now they are trying to regain control of a situation that has been allowed to spin out for too long.

Again, just my 0.02.

Also, if there has been a plan, this is a terrible way to announce it. No details, by JB himself, as we’re barreling towards a potential sub .500 record.

I didn't listen to it live. I caught the second hour of the show where brent played some excerpts. I've now listened to the whole interview, (from the 7-minute mark to the 25 minute mark

I don't know if you kept listening, but afterwards one of Axe's guys came on and said that someone named JD called and said Autry is taking over after next year. Take it FWIW, but apparently this guy knew in advance about AI coming to the Dome.

I am guessing they know the plan. They have been keyed in...
I have a hard time recruits know "the plan".

If recruits know, then their parents know, their AAU coaches know, their friends too may be. There is no way to keeping it a secret.

And this is not only those who committed, this included those all those who committed elsewhere, assuming they were told the plan in order to help make their decisions.

I seriously doubt if recruits were told things about the plan.

If the plan is promoting from within it is an awful plan LOL

That's the only "plan" there can be.
You can't control the availability of coaches who are not already in the program.

so if you're JB why put this out there right now?

He's had a history of poor judgment with the media this past decade or so, don't you think?

I have a question - for those who don’t want Red. What is your reasoning as to why you think he wouldn’t be a good coach ? (I have no favorite to be the next coach)

1. No head coaching experience.

2. Mediocre recruiting results.

I like our assistants and they all seem like great guys, but the main concern for me is 100% zone and more ISO ball. I also prefer someone that has experience being a head coach.

I would prefer we played varying defenses so we can get different skill sets on the floor depending who we play. I’d also like to see more passing and off ball movement in our offense. What we run now is what the NBA ran in the 90’s and 2000’s.

We are playing 2 defenses this year - 2-3 zone and 1-3-1 zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom