JB at it again | Syracusefan.com

JB at it again

Hilarious presser
He must have had to use the facilities that would explain why was in such a hurry!

At about 7:00 he covered it, we've got to be better on D, especially when they enter to the high post. Of course, we could defend that entry a little better, as well.

out of 100, how much is his snippiness due to his hate for the local press v the fact he just lost. 80/20?

There were moments when you could sense the tenseness and trepidation of the media and their reluctance to pose the next question. It seemed like JB was poised to crush each and every one of them. I'm sure the members of the press were thinking " will he humiliate me for asking this question? is there anything inherently provoking in what I'm about to ask?"

It seems that Jay Bilas might be the only person in America that can ask questions of JB which relate to the NCAA investigation and the suspension, loss of wins, and it's effect on the Coach, team, and program.

Poliquin's article closes by saying nothings changed, and he states: "Defiant. Stubborn, Combative. Ornery. It was as if he'd never left.

Having watched all of this play out over the past 10 years you have to wonder about a few things. I wonder if it's this same temperament that rubbed the NCAA the wrong way and prompted them to so publicly humiliate Boeheim. I read the NCAA's findings and... well, essentially there is little if anything substantive which would seem to justify the severity of punishment which was seemingly targeted specifically at Boeheim, the "coach" in a very personal manner.

Some of it just doesn't add up. It's almost as if you are ejecting a player for a hand check foul. When you consider what happened at North Carolina with dozens of players who participated as a result of qualifying to remain eligible as a result of taking phantom classes that didn't exist. Where is the penalty for that? But that is a different issue.

JB has never looked comfortable with the press. He has improved somewhat over time but is still prone when aggravated to get that steely eyed pissed off look when he's asked a question that in any way impeaches him, his players, or the program. And when that happens it always comes off as looking ugly. I can only wonder how JB was when he was called in the 5 times to talk to the NCAA regarding the investigation.

My own opinion is that although JB can be ornery and combative, defiant and stubborn, he has at times, and certainly what has happened with the NCAA, been fully justified in his anger. I don't blame him for being pissed. I think he was given a really, really, raw deal by the NCAA and the taking of the wins is really a piss poor decision by the NCAA. We all know that he and we won those games but in the end what the NCAA did obviously hit it's mark because you can see how Boeheim bristles at even the thought of it.

It's hard to focus on running a program when there is is a fox in the henhouse of your program and it's amazing the program isn't in even more disarray than it is. I can understand why JB is so outwardly bent out of shape about anything connected to the entire NCAA debacle. He is certainly justified in how angry he is but at the same time I feel for the poor people in the presser that are just trying to do their job.

Regarding rebounding.

Q- Do you think this team can be a better rebounding team?

JB's A- Well we out rebounded one of the better rebounding teams in the country tonight, so I guess that means yes. We have to get after it more......

Makes one wonder what was different about the approach tonight (the guards hit the glass?) and why it took us until game 17 to start doing it, but maybe more importantly can we do it in game 18 and beyond.

I love Jimmy Boeheim.

He's one stubborn old goat. Haha

Regarding rebounding.

JB's A- Well we out rebounded one of the better rebounding teams in the country tonight, so I guess that means yes. We have to get after it more...

Makes one wonder what was different about the approach tonight (the guards hit the glass?) and why it took us until game 17 to start doing it, but maybe more importantly can we do it in game 18 and beyond.

shooting 3's = long rebounds = negate the other teams physical advantage.

UNC was 3-16 from long range last night.

Regarding rebounding.

JB's A- Well we out rebounded one of the better rebounding teams in the country tonight, so I guess that means yes. We have to get after it more...

Coleman played a lot more tonight than he usually does. That could be one reason.

Edit - I do recall the guards, including G, Trevor, and Kaleb going up big and grabbing boards last night, so you might be onto something.

shooting 3's = long rebounds = negate the other teams physical advantage.

But we also did better rebounding inside because we outnumbered them. Everybody went to the boards.

out of 100, how much is his snippiness due to his hate for the local press v the fact he just lost. 80/20?

More like 20-80. He wanted that game badly and he was mad that we stopped playing defense the way he wanted down the stretch. He also had answered his last question about the suspension.

More like 20-80. He wanted that game badly and he was mad that we stopped playing defense the way he wanted down the stretch. He also had answered his last question about the suspension.

I'm curious as to what this means. It would be physically impossible for Lydon or Roberson to contest at three at the foul line extended and then get back to the lane in time to contest the shot. UNC went guard to big at foul line to big slashing to the hoop and kept the ball on the same side of the floor. Coleman (or whoever was playing the center) has to come up to contest that big at the foul line because they were lights out from that spot last night. That leaves the wing on the other side, and if he rotates over to the opposite side, the big at the foul line will just find a guy cutting to the spot our other big wing has left.

JB has to give up something - either stop the big wings from extending out so far (which is what should have happened when you have the other team shooting 18 percent) or not complain about the layups and dunks. He needs to expect more from the guards up top to contest those shots as well as the pass to the foul line, and not put all the blame on the wings. In my opinion.

There ought to be trepidation on the part of the Press because JB -- at this point in his career --- has stopped trying to answer leading and generally stupid questions. And he has the stature to bring them up short and point out how what they are asking is either obvious, dumb or not something he can answer.

Take the absolutely stupid line of questioning about whether JB thought that his presence on the bench was an added boost to the team effort.

If the Press wants to not be embarrassed, they should ask better questions.

If they cannot, then they should be reassigned back to writing Obits and put somebody in the Press Conferences with half a brain. That's called making the Press "accountable".

This is a huge opportunity for the Press to do a good job. They have a guy who is actually willing to explain things to them and help them to a better job by forcing them to ask the right questions and to ask them properly.

There ought to be trepidation on the part of the Press because JB -- at this point in his career --- has stopped trying to answer leading and generally stupid questions. And he has the stature to bring them up short and point out how what they are asking is either obvious, dumb or not something he can answer.

Take the absolutely stupid line of questioning about whether JB thought that his presence on the bench was an added boost to the team effort.

If they cannot, then they should be reassigned back to writing Obits and put somebody in the Press Conferences with half a brain. That's called making the Press "accountable".

This is a huge opportunity for the Press to do a good job. They have a guy who is actually willing to explain things to them and help them to a better job by forcing them to ask the right questions and to ask them properly.

I didn't watch the presser. Let me state that up front.

Exactly how do you think JB would react to this question - "Coach, how do you expect Richardson, Lydon or Roberson to be able to defend the three point shooters at the foul line extended or further and then be expected to rotate back to defend a cutter in the lane on their side of the court?"

Cause that's the question I want asked.

JB, as all of us, are who we are...that being said, JB's demeanor
UNC was 3-16 from long range last night.

Carolina's torrid FT shooting (17-20) all game was huge for them...66-64 at about the 3 minute mark. I can't recall a UNC team in recent memory that shot/shoots so well from the charity stripe.

CuseFaninVT said:
I'm curious as to what this means. It would be physically impossible for Lydon or Roberson to contest at three at the foul line extended and then get back to the lane in time to contest the shot. UNC went guard to big at foul line to big slashing to the hoop and kept the ball on the same side of the floor. Coleman (or whoever was playing the center) has to come up to contest that big at the foul line because they were lights out from that spot last night. That leaves the wing on the other side, and if he rotates over to the opposite side, the big at the foul line will just find a guy cutting to the spot our other big wing has left. JB has to give up something - either stop the big wings from extending out so far (which is what should have happened when you have the other team shooting 18 percent) or not complain about the layups and dunks. He needs to expect more from the guards up top to contest those shots as well as the pass to the foul line, and not put all the blame on the wings. In my opinion.

It would take too long to go through every move each player makes in the zone because there is a lot of slides, contracting, expanding, dropping down etc. But it is up to the forwards to cut off that cut to the barkers their forwards made. The guards can't do anything about it and the guards can't cover every player on the wing without forward help.

Exactly how do you think JB would react to this question - "Coach, how do you expect Richardson, Lydon or Roberson to be able to defend the three point shooters at the foul line extended or further and then be expected to rotate back to defend a cutter in the lane on their side of the court?"

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

Indeed! Bud's attempt to get Jimmy to answer that foolish question about whether his team responded better to his voice or to Hop's was classic. Even after Bud rephrased his question (which Jimmy said he'd answer if he got it right) he told Bud he's not answering as it was basically the same stupid question.

CuseFaninVT said:
I didn't watch the presser. Let me state that up front. Exactly how do you think JB would react to this question - "Coach, how do you expect Richardson, Lydon or Roberson to be able to defend the three point shooters at the foul line extended or further and then be expected to rotate back to defend a cutter in the lane on their side of the court?" Cause that's the question I want asked.

When the ball goes to the high post the immediate reaction of the forward has to be to drop to the baseline to cut that drive off then the guard on that side slides over to the shooter on that wing that the forward was covering and the other guard slides to cover the guard that was just released.

That's a lot better question than "What do you think the impact on the team effort was of having you back on the bench?"

Of course your question is very "inside" basketball ... and the question about Boeheim's impact would be more sensational and looking for a story line they wish they had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom