Looking ahead to next year - Top 25 birth | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to next year - Top 25 birth

Rocco

Watching you.
Given the bye week boredom that is now setting in, I can't help but think about next season. Orange-tinted glasses are securely stuck to my eyes.

We'll see what shakes out this offseason with the transfer portal and recruiting, but based on our core guys alone, I'm guessing we'll be favorably viewed in the ACC and in the country. Possibly even receiving votes to start the year (so like Top 40-45). We have yet to get overmatched in a game this year and people are starting to take notice.

Our biggest question marks will be OL & DL. I'd argue we're in better shape on the DL, but still losing a bunch of key pieces. Secondary, LBs, WRs, RBs and QB is set. On ST, we need to continue working, but not overly concerned there.

Despite his daggers during the post-BC presser, I would still love to see Dino hire an in-game strategist/QC type of person. Some of the trigger decisions he's made in pivotal spots have been truly bizarre. That to me is an easy fix. Surround yourself with a person/people who are only focusing on that.

Hopefully they really work with Shrader with his arm mechanics in the offseason. Redraw the playbook up to incorporate more bootlegs, playaction and other types of rollouts for Garrett. He is a way better passer out of the pocket. Take a look at the FSU game when he delivered a few dimes on the run. We all know what the kid can do on designed runs or RPOs, but this offense takes the next step if we can stretch the field over the top. Once the safeties and backers have to be honest, Tuck might actually come close to 2,000 yards.

Focking stoked for next year already.

Why is the OL a question mark? We only lose 1 person of just about the whole 3 deep.
Agree on this.

I expect Bergeron is going to be 2nd team All ACC this year. 3rd team worse case. He is going to be one of the best LTs in the conference. Ellis and Bleich are likely starters at OG and both will likely get some votes for pre-season all conference. Dakota had a really good first game at RT and might be a natural there.

Vet has a lot of experience and could be slotted in at C or RT. Thought I expect Cruz is going to make a strong claim to that RT position. If that happens, one of the 3 OGs will likely be moved to C. Froumy and Hoeh are also well regarded at C and Ilaoa has to be in the mix there too.

We have so much more depth at OL for next year. It has to be our best situation pre-season we have had there in decades. I am very optimistic with this position group.Loc

More worried about the DL. Harper, Darton and Lockett should be good at DT. Caleb has a lot of experience at one DE position. Gonna need a couple of youngsters to step up at DE. And perhaps a transfer or two. The good news is that we should have a really talented and experienced group of LBs and DBs to pair with them.

Agree on this.

I expect Bergeron is going to be 2nd team All ACC this year. 3rd team worse case. He is going to be one of the best LTs in the conference. Ellis and Bleich are likely starters at OG and both will likely get some votes for pre-season all conference. Dakota had a really good first game at RT and might be a natural there.

Vet has a lot of experience and could be slotted in at C or RT. Thought I expect Cruz is going to make a strong claim to that RT position. If that happens, one of the 3 OGs will likely be moved to C. Froumy and Hoeh are also well regarded at C and Ilaoa has to be in the mix there too.

We have so much more depth at OL for next year. It has to be our best situation pre-season we have had there in decades. I am very optimistic with this position group.Loc

More worried about the DL. Harper, Darton and L

I’d like Bergeron to cut down on the false starts.

Agree on this.

More worried about the DL. Harper, Darton and L
Considering how fast Ellis and Ilaoa blew past them, I wonder what the staff thinks who have been around a few years and not touched the field.

I was under the impression Bleich didn't have another year of eligibility?

Agree on this.

More worried about the DL. Harper, Darton and Lockett should be good at DT. Caleb has a lot of experience at one DE position. Gonna need a couple of youngsters to step up at DE. And perhaps a transfer or two. The good news is that we should have a really talented and experienced group of LBs and DBs to pair with them.

Expecting the staff to bring in a solid DE or 2 this offseason.

My concerns re: the OL are steadfast each year, plus the ease and convenience of the portal concerns me.

Still bullish AF for 2022.

DL, Safety, WR, and maybe RB. Those to me are the four big ones.

D-line is my major concern. If G. Williams decides to turn pro, put me in the concerned group when it comes to the secondary. If he is back, we have 2 excellent cb's to help cover up what I believe to be a very average group of safeties.

On offense, I like every position group. I'd like to see 1 or 2 of the young WR's emerge, and I believe they will.

D-line is my major concern. If G. Williams decides to turn pro, put me in the concerned group when it comes to the secondary. If he is back, we have 2 excellent cb's to help cover up what I believe to be a very average group of safeties.

On offense, I like every position group. I'd like to see 1 or 2 of the young WR's emerge, and I believe they will.
Isn't Williams a sophomore? Did he redshirt before playing last year?

We play 10 P5 games next year. It will be hard to get 6 Ws let alone into the Top 25 with that schedule. NC State and Wake crack the Top 25 every year because they have easy OOC schedules and the ACC back loads their conference games. We need to try to replicate that.

Dino's record vs P5
16-37 .302

2016 2-7 .222
2017 2-7 .222
2018 7-3 .700
2019 2-7 ..222
2020 1-9 .100
2021 2-4 .333 although we have won our last 2. We really need to break that 2 W threshold. Another 2-7 is a red flag.

2022 10 games
We might need to replicate the 2018 record to be ranked (9-3 overall). If we go .500 vs the P5 which is pretty good we will be 7-5 overall and not ranked (see 2012). An 8-4 record (6-4 vs P5) might crack the Top 25 at some point.

I think 2023 is the year as we will have a SR led team.

I am concerned about DE, WR, Safety and CB. I assume we lose Williams to the draft. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he stays. I think there is a great opportunity for a transfer to come in and be da man right away at DE and WR.

We play 10 P5 games next year. It will be hard to get 6 Ws let alone into the Top 25 with that schedule. NC State and Wake crack the Top 25 every year because they have easy OOC schedules and the ACC back loads their conference games. We need to try to replicate that.

Dino's record vs P5
16-37 .302

2016 2-7 .222
2017 2-7 .222
2018 7-3 .700
2019 2-7 ..222
2020 1-9 .100
2021 2-4 .333 although we have won our last 2. We really need to break that 2 W threshold. Another 2-7 is a red flag.

2022 10 games
We might need to replicate the 2018 record to be ranked (9-3 overall). If we go .500 vs the P5 which is pretty good we will be 7-5 overall and not ranked (see 2012). An 8-4 record (6-4 vs P5) might crack the Top 25 at some point.

Agree, 10 P5 opponents is too much for one season. Especially when one of the OOC opponents is ND.

Until we get the program established and start going to bowls regularly, we should always play an FCS team, two MAC level teams and one P5 team OOC. With the MAC series preferably 2 for 1s so at worst we end up with 7 home games a season and occasionally 8.

The SUAD has done a really poor job putting the football program in a position to succeed. They have to do a better job here.

Agree, 10 P5 opponents is too much for one season. Especially when one of the OOC opponents is ND.

Until we get the program established and start going to bowls regularly, we should always play an FCS team, two MAC level teams and one P5 team OOC. With the MAC series preferably 2 for 1s so at worst we end up with 7 home games a season and occasionally 8.

The SUAD has done a really poor job putting the football program in a position to succeed. They have to do a better job here.

Agree. UConn and Wagner are our only easy games. We really need a Buffalo, Ohio, Akron type game for a probable third win. Asking for 4 more wins against the remainder of our 2022 schedule is to much to ask the majority of years.

We need help at DL, DBs and Punter.
7-8 wins is possible

Not sure why anyone will say O line. Only lose Servais. Our biggest issue will be keeping Schmidt on the staff. He will get offers.

You're missing my point.

Next year this is true, we made a mistake scheduling Purdue in a season where we also have ND. In fairness, I don't remember the circumstances of this, so its possible we signed the deal with Purdue before we knew how the ND schedule would shake out. Still, far from ideal.

That aside, I think we've done a good job of scheduling for success in recent years. You have to go back to 2014 to find an OOC schedule that was un questionably too challenging with two P5s (Nova, CMU, MD and ND). Since then we've largely done what you suggest.

2015: URI, CMU, LSU, USF
2016: Colgate, USF, UConn, ND
2017: Central CT, Middle Tennessee, CMU, LSU
2018: WMU, Wagner, UConn, ND
2019: Liberty, MD, WMU, Holy Cross
2021: Ohio, RU, Albany, Liberty

We get back to this model in 2023 (Colgate, WMU, Purdue, Army).

*edit* Looking ahead, our 2025 is too challenging with both ND and Tennessee. But I can't blame the AD for taking the Tenn. game. It's a huge payday and will be tremendous early season publicity for the program. We'll need to be ready to win a lot against our ACC peers that season.

Last edited:
Next year this is true, we made a mistake scheduling Purdue in a season where we also have ND. In fairness, I don't remember the circumstances of this, so its possible we signed the deal with Purdue before we knew how the ND schedule would shake out. Still, far from ideal.

That aside, I think we've done a good job of scheduling for success in recent years. You have to go back to 2014 to find an OOC schedule that was un questionably too challenging with two P5s (Nova, CMU, MD and ND). Since then we've largely done what you suggest.

Agree we are getting better. 2020 was awful but that was driven by COVID changes and the ACC did us no favors unexpectedly adding ND to our OOC.

The other issue is that we tend to play a relatively tough game to start the season. Often on the road. I would love just one year where we start out like lots of other schools with a FCS opponent at home.

Get to 1-0 stress free and injury free. Get a chance to play some subs and get them experience.

Do that with and only schedule 1 P5 opponent OOC and I will agree we are scheduling for success.

Dino's record vs P5
16-37 .302

2016 2-7 .222
2017 2-7 .222
2018 7-3 .700
2019 2-7 ..222
2020 1-9 .100

2022 10 games

I love stats and numbers and history - but I’d throw out Dino vs P5 numbers, and go with recent history of better OL + Shrader + Tucker to go along with this D. This years P5 performances are probably more representative. I think we can compete with everyone.

Agree we are getting better. 2020 was awful but that was driven by COVID changes and the ACC did us no favors unexpectedly adding ND to our OOC.

The other issue is that we tend to play a relatively tough game to start the season. Often on the road. I would love just one year where we start out like lots of other schools with a FCS opponent at home.

Get to 1-0 stress free and injury free. Get a chance to play some subs and get them experience.

Do that with and only schedule 1 P5 opponent OOC and I will agree we are scheduling for success.
I think we're starting to open with a softie, as you suggest. Next year we open at UConn. Granted its a road game, but I bet the crowd will be 50% SU fans (if not more) and it don't get more easy than a game against UConn. 2023 we open at home vs. Colgate. 2024 it's home against Ohio. 2025 is the aforementioned neutral site game vs. Tennessee, but 2026 is home vs. New Hampshire.

So I think we're generally on the right path.

*edit* Looking ahead, our 2025 is too challenging with both ND and Tennessee. But I can't blame the AD for taking the Tenn. game. It's a huge payday and will be tremendous early season publicity for the program. We'll need to be ready to win a lot against our ACC peers that season.
2025 is even worse. ND on the road and Tennessee neutral. Then Army and UConn so no FCS (unless UConn drops down by then).

2024 I bet we end up with 2 P5 games. We only have Army scheduled now. If we are late as usual (I believe that is why we had Purdue after knowing about ND), then we will have few options.

2026 is fine, we don't have anything scheduled beyond that.

We always seem to be late to the scheduling table and get leftovers. This has happened way too often the last decade. Whomever is in charge probably should be changed.

Next seasons SOS is no joke with Purdue and ND. Personally I’d rather play 4 cupcakes but as we’re seeing right now, get a big win and it pays serious dividends. I’m more than content with six dubs and then winning a bowl, but the table is set for something special next year.

We play Purdue, Pitt, NC State, Wake and ND. Four of those teams are currently ranked.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom