So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in

Are we doing this again? ;)
Sean Williams was a scholarship player.
Devin Brennan McBride was a scholarship player.
Chino Obokoh was a scholarship player.

All 3 of these guys were on scholarship 2 or 3 years and then weren’t on scholarship.

If you don’t get OiG’s point it’s semantics.

I wonder if Chaz will surpass Devin Brennan McBride’s career 5 points total next season.

O/U 5.5 points for Chaz next season.

I don't see how any major program will ever be able to use more than 11 schollies with the free transfer rule in place. Just about no shot that a 5th G or F or 4th C is going to be willing to sit around. Think 4/4/3 is the max and then 2 walk-on types are getting lucky or the ath dept could save a bunch of money.

All 3 of these guys were on scholarship 2 or 3 years and then weren’t on scholarship.

I wonder if Chaz will surpass Devin Brennan McBride’s career 5 points total next season.

His father said he is coming back so I would assume he talked to the staff and they said they see him learning and growing in the program and want him to return. He will see playing time this year and then we'll see if he can make it at this level.

His father said he is coming back so I would assume he talked to the staff and they said they see him learning and growing in the program and want him to return. He will see playing time this year and then we'll see if he can make it at this level.
Huh? You are saying that Chaz Owens is seeing PT this year? As in the 1st 37 or so mins of a game?

I'm not sure OIG needs you to defend him.

I got his point. However, what he meant is not what he said. All I did was point that out, for people who might think Chaz is actually a non-scholarship player.

Then he (and now you) got all indignant.
1618747606893.gif

Huh? You are saying that Chaz Owens is seeing PT this year? As in the 1st 37 or so mins of a game?
Yes. Like other development guys have. Especially in the early noncon games.

Yes. Like other development guys have. Especially in the early noncon games.
Alright. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you don't really follow recruiting and things too closely and leave it at that.

Your comparison of seton hall to us showed your knowledge. The laces comment is just a poor shot at someone because you are mad.

Have at it and if you want to keep pining over Kadary go for it.
I agree about the false equivalency between SU and the Hall. Cherry-picking records over a small sample size and ignoring all the other differences is ridiculous. They're in different leagues, literally and figuratively.

It's also true that Kadary's gone, although it's upsetting to see him go to a school that has tampered with our players in the past. But that's all water under the bridge (he's gone). So fair point.

What you're missing in DW's and Alsac's posts is the hole Kadary leaves in the lineup. He was elite off the bounce, tough to shoot over and even tougher to drive by. I'm not familiar with ST's game. Maybe he'll help. What I do know is that last year our backcourt often looked like it was in cement shoes against athletic M2M defenses. Buddy came on at the end of the year and went to work. But aside from the last few games, most of the year Kadary was the only one that could shake M2M defenders, get in the lane and spark the offense. It was hoped that, along with a beefed up front line, he could return us to an upper-level ACC contender instead of the .500 (+/-) squad we've become. That's why you're seeing so much angst.

Last edited:
Alright. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you don't really follow recruiting and things too closely and leave it at that.
There are misses all the time. He is the 4th guard on this team and I expect him to surprise a lot of people.

I'm not sure OIG needs you to defend him.

I got his point. However, what he meant is not what he said. All I did was point that out, for people who might think Chaz is actually a non-scholarship player.

Then he (and now you) got all indignant. View attachment 199972
I wasn't indignant. I thought we were all having fun.

Then I think it got weird for some others for whatever reason, which made it in to a frustrating conversation for everyone.

There are misses all the time. He is the 4th guard on this team and I expect him to surprise a lot of people.
If he plays 1 meaningful minute this season then you are right, it will surprise a lot of people. It's not a miss, he was a prep school kid that was still a D2/JUCO recruit but happened to have a legendary father. It is what it is. Just confused how you came to the conclusions that you did.

If he plays 1 meaningful minute this season then you are right, it will surprise a lot of people. It's not a miss, he was a prep school kid that was still a D2/JUCO recruit but happened to have a legendary father. It is what it is. Just confused how you came to the conclusions that you did.
My assumption is that his parents wanted him to get a solid education and didn't want him to focus on basketball. Otherwise they would have bought a house in a district with a feeder program. I am sure that his father and other professional basketball people have taught him the correct techniques of the game along the way. If he remains the 4th guard on this short roster, I think that it looks like the staff believes in him, or they are not very smart.

My assumption is that his parents wanted him to get a solid education and didn't want him to focus on basketball. Otherwise they would have bought a house in a district with a feeder program. I am sure that his father and other professional basketball people have taught him the correct techniques of the game along the way. If he remains the 4th guard on this short roster, I think that it looks like the staff believes in him, or they are not very smart.
You assume a lot.
I will leave it at that.

How the heck can you say he is going to see time.
You literally have nothing to support this statement.
Where is he going to see time?
Not at the forward position.
Buddy has the SG position and I would say Joe is the likely backup at SG because he played there last year when Buddy was on the bench.

How the heck can you say he is going to see time.
You literally have nothing to support this statement.
Where is he going to see time?
Not at the forward position.
Buddy has the SG position and I would say Joe is the likely backup at SG because he played there last year when Buddy was on the bench.
If he is going to be the 4th guard on a roster of 10 or 11 players, he needs to be preped to be able to come into games for real minutes necessitated by foul trouble and or injuries. Which means he needs to be given some minutes for that potential possibility. 2-4 Minutes at a time.

On the one hand, I would love to have him back because he’s terrific when healthy. On the other hand, I think his presence would create a lot of roster management problems, as someone would be getting the short end of the stick with minutes. There’s basically no playing time available for Junior if both QG and FA are on the roster.

My gut says the coaching staff waits until May 1st. If FA is still on the roster, then he’s our third center and fourth forward. If they add another forward at that point, it’s probably someone who won’t expect to play much and will just appreciate the opportunity to learn for a year. Someone from Europe or maybe a project out of HS or the portal. Someone who the usual suspects will scoff at. (That’s the type of guard I see them adding as well, if at all.)
I'm not sure about no PT for Jimmy Jr. There is the possibility that 3rd center is open. If JJ can play center it gives JB the option to small ball a shooting juggernaut- Buddy/Cole/JG3/JJr. That would have to be SU's best 4 man shooting lineup ever (I don't know how good Benny is). Easy to envision 10 mpg for that strategy. Also easy to see this place go nuts if that happens.

Frank offers a redundant skill set to Jesse. Frank needs to decide if he can wait his turn. After Sid and JJr go, lots of PT for this athletic, then seasoned, zone pro. If Frank leaves, the '22 center recruitment pitch becomes a lot more appealing to the 4-5 star centers out there.

The QG decision may affect Frank more than it affects JJr.

If he is going to be the 4th guard on a roster of 10 or 11 players, he needs to be preped to be able to come into games for real minutes necessitated by foul trouble and or injuries. Which means he needs to be given some minutes for that potential possibility. 2-4 Minutes at a time.
Are you saying Chaz is going to average 2-4 mpg against a P5 teams?

Are you saying Chaz is going to average 2-4 mpg against a P5 teams?
2-4 minutes here and there. More early on against noncon's. That's the progression I've seen for past project players.

II agree about the false equivalency between SU and the Hall. Cherry-picking records over a smalll sample size and ignoring all the other differences is ridiculous. They're in different leagues, literally and figuratively.

It's also true that Kadary's gone. It's upsetting seeing him go, especially to a school that has tampered with our players in the past. But that's all water under the bridge (he's gone). So fair point.

What you're missing in DW's and Alsac's posts is the hole we have without Kadary in the lineup. He was elite off the bounce, was tough to shoot over and even tougher to get by. I'm not familiar with ST's game. Maybe he'll help. What I do know is that last year our backcourt often looked like it was in cement shoes against athletic M2M defenses. Buddy came on at the end of the year and went to work. But aside from the last few games, most of the year Kadary was the only one that could create offense against good M2M teams. He gave us a chance to compete as an upper-level ACC contender instead of the .500 (+/-) rut we're in. That's why you're seeing so much angst.
And what many of you are missing is that I never compared them as programs historically. We beat the Hall like 90% of the time in the Big East. Obviously there’s no comparison.

Who cares though? These kids are looking for the best place to hoop for them for a year or two. You think Kadary is researching who finished ahead of who from 1980-2013?

The Hall’s teams have been roughly the same as ours recently, and next year will likely be no different.

The arrogance about our history to people who don’t care is just weird. “Yeah kid, you go ahead and pick that school! We beat the crap out of them every year in the 90s!”

2-4 minutes here and there. More early on against noncon's. That's the progression I've seen for past project players.
Who are the projects you are talking about?

I doubt he’s getting any meaningful minutes...not unless there are serious injury issues.

And what many of you are missing is that I never compared them as programs historically. We beat the Hall like 90% of the time in the Big East. Obviously there’s no comparison.

Who cares though? These kids are looking for the best place to hoop for them for a year or two. You think Kadary is researching who finished ahead of who from 1980-2013?

The Hall’s teams have been roughly the same as ours recently, and next year will likely be no different.

The arrogance about our history to people who don’t care is just weird. “Yeah kid, you go ahead and pick that school! We beat the crap out of them every year in the 90s!”
He was willing to downgrade so he could be close to home. You can admit that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom