Your Official SU-Miami Game Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-Miami Game Thread

You have to understand why people are frustrated with Lydon, right? He's an incredible natural basketball talent - one of the best we've ever had - but it's as if he doesn't realize it and enjoys playing basketball about as much as Roberson does.
I disagree with that. He shows a lot of joy playing. If you don't see that, you aren't watching him.

I'll add something to this (OK, arguable if "add" is the right word).

Four-year players are much more fun to watch, but maybe it's worth asking -- for both players and fans -- if the development associated with four years at SU can be realized.

Because it's gotten a little tiresome watching a talented player like Roberson get to the point where he's told to get an offensive rebound out of his hands as quickly as possible. And where Lydon follows a pump-fake-free freshman year learning to wreck his offensive game with a weird tic on every catch.

I started a thread on this...

Ok, what else does he do?

Can't create his own shot.

Can't dribble.

No mid-range game.

Adequate post game although he's soft around the rim and will get out-muscled unless he takes every testosterone supplement known to man.

Ok rebounder.

Decent shot blocker.

Not overly athletic.

Bottom Line: He plays for Syracuse, gets a lot of exposure and can shoot threes in a PF's body. That's the only thing he does on an NBA level.
Pretty good rebounding numbers and a 80% plus free throw shooter.

Whoever said Roberson was a talented player? He can rebound, sometimes. He has never had an offensive game. And that is on both him and the coaches. But more on him. Other kids have improved. He didn't.

Eh, he was better offensively in HS. You can watch games on Youtube, kid was probably a far more refined player then. :)

Whoever said Roberson was a talented player? He can rebound, sometimes. He has never had an offensive game. And that is on both him and the coaches. But more on him. Other kids have improved. He didn't.

I agree that the onus to develop lies with the one who stands the most to gain by doing so: the player.

Who cares if the NCAA gives us a slot. We aren't doing a thing. We should have won by 10. No chance away from home. Might be better to win the NIT. Gillon is Gillon. If we gave it to Battle, we win.

How do you recruit someone who wants to play somewhere else? Women? Guns? Money? :noidea:

You close them. If you can't close in a man's game then hit the bricks because you're going out. You cant convince me every recruit out there had their minds made up to go elsewhere in high school without the ability to have their mind changed(and coincidentally none of them had their minds made up to go to Syracuse), can you?

If you're talking specific recruits, then the coaches need to to a better job at selecting those recruits. Either way, something needs to be improved or the Cuse "standard of excellence" is going to drop to places that would make this look like a good season.

I did. (I imagine others did, too.)

SU recruited a player who could shoot out past midrange, finish at the rim with both hands, and put the ball on the floor and attack the rim.

He's leaving school a player who's told to play hot potato on offensive rebounds, who just fired a ball 45 feet into the backcourt on one of the most important possessions of the season.

Of course there's blame to spread around. But he put in work. He didn't choose to be a totally ineffective player.

Who cares if the NCAA gives us a slot. We aren't doing a thing. We should have won by 10. No chance away from home. Might be better to win the NIT. Gillon is Gillon. If we gave it to Battle, we win.

I dont think we deserve to be in the tourney, but I am not naive enough to think we cant rip off a few wins agains teams unfamiliar with even this team's version of a crappy zone

I dont think we deserve to be in the tourney, but I am not naive enough to think we cant rip off a few wins agains teams unfamiliar with even this team's version of a crappy zone

Sure. 18-14 teams don't deserve to get an at-large bid. No way, no how.

But SU's capable of winning six in a row in that setting. Unlikely, yeah. But they could.

The officiating for a stretch of 5 min also. There were three calls in a row that were tough to take.
you can clam about a lot of things today but the officiating ? really? they alone kept us in the second half.

That is this board in a nutshell. A very good player who bleeds Orange.
Kind of funny though the guy loping down the court on the last shot...

That is this board in a nutshell. A very good player who bleeds Orange.

So why is he exempt from criticism? Need you to explain that to me.

Interesting. I know that last year you thought we would go on a run. I remember that. You said even though we were only 9-9 in the league this team can make a run. when we were down 15 or 16 late against Virginia you said hang in there guys, this team can make a run. No. You didn't. We have had runs come out of no where in my life rooting for this team. This team is dangerous. We lost a 50 50 game today. Nothing more or less. If we get in, we can lose the first game or make a run at least to the final 8. Or anywhere in between.

But SU's capable of winning six in a row in that setting. Unlikely, yeah. But they could.
Maybe 7

So why is he exempt from criticism? Need you to explain that to me.
He isn't. That isn't what this has been. Do you need me to explain to you the difference between legit criticism and just trolling?

Last year might have been JB's best job and this year might have been his worst. Either way we should get in.

But the end of this game was terrible, we should have fouled all 94 feet.

I honestly don't think it really matters how good the teams we play against are, it's more about how familiar teams are against us.

I have more faith in our ability to defeat Kansas than random upper half ACC or former big east team

miami was double bonus with over 5 minutes left in the game. we had to intentionally grab in the final minute to get miami to the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom