Chat Room Histrionics | Syracusefan.com

Chat Room Histrionics

alibrat66

2nd String
Last night's Chat Room ran true to form. The Cuse got ahead by 8, and there was only praise for our guys. A few missteps and the knives came out. From that point, until the Cuse pulled away from Wake Forest in the last several minutes (sound like a pattern?), words like "terrible", "horrible", "horrendous", and worse were attributed to our players and their effort, and our coach and his strategy and/or substitution pattern. No doubt we might benefit from more floor time for our subs; Wake Forest substituted very liberally. However, the fact is that the Cuse (and Boeheim's strategy) won the game. I might be naive, but I thought that was the object of playing the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (for sure I'm old, since I've been a Cuse fan since 1948), but my definition of a fan is someone who voices encouragement to our guys when they stub their toe and cheers their victories. I see it that we (players, coaches, and fans) are all in this together. It's our school. Analysis of a game and certain plays is one thing; savagely negative hyperbole is another. Those who truck in the latter, in my view, are not fans. Not sure what to call someone who boos his/her own team. For these people it is straight-up all or nothing; they either love or hate a player.

Last night's Chat Room ran true to form. The Cuse got ahead by 8, and there was only praise for our guys. A few missteps and the knives came out. From that point, until the Cuse pulled away from Wake Forest in the last several minutes (sound like a pattern?), words like "terrible", "horrible", "horrendous", and worse were attributed to our players and their effort, and our coach and his strategy and/or substitution pattern. No doubt we might benefit from more floor time for our subs; Wake Forest substituted very liberally. However, the fact is that the Cuse (and Boeheim's strategy) won the game. I might be naive, but I thought that was the object of playing the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (for sure I'm old, since I've been a Cuse fan since 1948), but my definition of a fan is someone who voices encouragement to our guys when they stub their toe and cheers their victories. I see it that we (players, coaches, and fans) are all in this together. It's our school. Analysis of a game and certain plays is one thing; savagely negative hyperbole is another. Those who truck in the latter, in my view, are not fans. Not sure what to call someone who boos his/her own team. For these people it is straight-up all or nothing; they either love or hate a player.
I really stopped hanging around in the chat room during games other than the rare stop by during time outs. And we're 20-0???

Some people get irrational when they're frustrated with their sports. I don't like it but I'm trying to get used to it. It's pretty common so we'll either have to look past it or we'll have to avoid places like the chatroom or this board after a loss.

It's just the way things are, have been, and will continue to be. I wouldn't waste much effort analyzing it.

Least enjoyable 20-0 start in the 45+ years I have been a Syracuse basketball fan. I can't imagine how unsatisfying it would be if I hung out in the chat room.

I'm a god damned mess in there. I say I should be banned. But me being in there is seriously good mojo. that's entirely superstitious of me...but that's how I roll. Just know in advance... I'm sorry. And that I hate the officials authority.

Do we have awful possessions at both ends of the floor at times? Sure--what team doesn't? Do we have some weaknesses/areas needing improvement? Sure--what team doesn't?

Are we an awful team, or do we have awful players? No. Do we have a coach who doesn't get it? No. We're 20-0 for a reason. Many of these victories are over potential tournament teams. The truth is that if we happen to lose a game or two along the way, we're still going to be in the mix of 6-8 teams that can win it all.

When did having to win every game by 20 become the criterion for judging a team's worth? There are times when it feels like some of our fans think this is what this team should do in order to "prove" they are worthy of their No. 2 ranking.

Ultimately, though, "fan" is short for "fanatic," right? I may always not agree with the hyperbole or "over-the-top" reactions, but I do appreciate the passion of the fan base for this team.

Last edited:
Is anyone really surprised? There is bound to be some foul language and trash talking the team, I remember CTO warning a few people too last night. At points I saw a few comments that made me scratch my head...

people in chat rooms get crazy during games then settle down. people not in chat rooms get crazy during games then settle down

i'll never understand the outrage over people overreacting during a game in the chatroom
It's like someone mowing their lawn while you're having a quiet drink on your deck. It can spoil or at least detract from what would otherwise be a very nice time.

Sorry but this post is way over the top and simply not accurate. Once again were letting the perceived history of the chat room get in the way of facts. I was there from about the 3 min mark in the first half until the end of the game. I cant speak for what happened/was said for most of the first half but for the entire time I was there I didnt see one poster say they hated JB, the players, the team, or our scheme, substitution pattern, or certainly the effort.

Only one person got out of line the entire second half and was quickly put on notice by CTO and he/she was not an issue the rest of the night. This board freaks out about every little criticism of the team whether its the media or other posters. Was everything positive in there last night? Of course not. People called our Ft shooting and shot selection at time "bad" and when Silent G air balled a 4 foot shot im sure someone said "that was awful". Big difference between questioning a shot and your accusation that someone called a player on our team horrendous or awful.

Bottom line is this is a great team that is 20-0 but also has some offensive flaws, its OK to point that out it doesn't make anyone less of a fan. In the end we all want the same thing, Coach Boehiem and Syracuse's second National Title.

people in chat rooms get crazy during games then settle down. people not in chat rooms get crazy during games then settle down. i'll never understand the outrage over people overreacting during a game in the chatroom

It boggles my mind and is an incredible waste of time. I treat the chat room as a venting board for my immediate and raw, unfiltered opinions. Last night was kittens and lollipops compared to the Boca and Tristan days. The team shot 34% and was consistently within 5 of an opponent whom shot only 18% from 3 and looked like a CYO team. What are we supposed to say? "Go team?" Like, all game long, no matter what happens?

What's funny is when we play like that and we eat our own on this board, if you read JB's post game comments, he is often saying the same thing as the "negative nancies".

I sure hope this doesn't discourage from continuing to partake in the Chatroom. Yes, some folks are definitely over the top and display manic-depressive mood swings that would challenge even the most jaded therapists. I just inwardly chuckle as there just enough of the balanced individuals like yourself who contribute great insight to the flow of the game to offset the latter.

People say stuff in the heat of the moment. When you throw in a chat room setting, people want to spout off as soon as something happens. Crazy, off the cuff stuff will be said as a result. What do you expect from a chat room environment in the middle of a game?

One thing about this team is, they play ALL 40 minutes.
The are in every game. That is a good feeling if you wear ORANGE.

It boggles my mind and is an incredible waste of time. I treat the chat room as a venting board for my immediate and raw, unfiltered opinions. Last night was kittens and lollipops compared to the Boca and Tristan days. The team shot 34% and was consistently within 5 of an opponent whom shot only 18% from 3 and looked like a CYO team. What are we supposed to say? "Go team?" Like, all game long, no matter what happens?

What's funny is when we play like that and we eat our own on this board, if you read JB's post game comments, he is often saying the same thing as the "negative nancies".

Spot on Swish. Your last part of the first paragraph is an excellent point we did look pretty bad offensively at points last night against a team that I think is clearly no where near as good as we are. Tough to just stick your head in the sand when that happens.

I dont get how people do the chatroom thing. Tried it and I spent more time trying to type and follow conversations that I do watching the game and you miss plays.

Not my bag whatsoever.

I don't understand the people who go to the chat room, whine about it the next day, and then go right back the next game and expect to see any differences. Sheesh. Learn from past mistakes people!

And I'm with you Marsh. I can't follow the game and the chat at the same time. I'm bad at multi-tasking.

I dont get how people do the chatroom thing. Tried it and I spent more time trying to type and follow conversations that I do watching the game and you miss plays.

Not my bag whatsoever.

Its better for a football or Lax game. It actually works out best for an away lacrosse game I think because the game can slow down at times allowing you time to type and have an insightful conversation.

I don't understand the people who go to the chat room, whine about it the next day, and then go right back the next game and expect to see any differences. Sheesh. Learn from past mistakes people!

And I'm with you Marsh. I can't follow the game and the chat at the same time. I'm bad at multi-tasking.
I have shifty eyes. I can see hummingbird wings.

Sorry but this post is way over the top and simply not accurate. Once again were letting the perceived history of the chat room get in the way of facts. I was there from about the 3 min mark in the first half until the end of the game. I cant speak for what happened/was said for most of the first half but for the entire time I was there I didnt see one poster say they hated JB, the players, the team, or our scheme, substitution pattern, or certainly the effort.

Only one person got out of line the entire second half and was quickly put on notice by CTO and he/she was not an issue the rest of the night. This board freaks out about every little criticism of the team whether its the media or other posters. Was everything positive in there last night? Of course not. People called our Ft shooting and shot selection at time "bad" and when Silent G air balled a 4 foot shot im sure someone said "that was awful". Big difference between questioning a shot and your accusation that someone called a player on our team horrendous or awful.

Bottom line is this is a great team that is 20-0 but also has some offensive flaws, its OK to point that out it doesn't make anyone less of a fan. In the end we all want the same thing, Coach Boehiem and Syracuse's second National Title.

I don't go into the chat room because a) I don't think it'd enhance my game viewing and b) I get way too worked up and would rather not put that crap into words for everyone to read.

But we've seen long stretches of bad play, as you've noted, and asking how much this team has improved from Game 12 to Game 20 is probably a valid question.

It's great to be 20-0; it's great to have, at the very least, two centers who contribute mostly positive things and a point guard who seems able to make plays when no one else can; and it's great to get experience winning games when we fall behind and/or don't play well.

Some of us also notice the flaws. It'd be cool to have dispassionate discussions about that on here, but it really doesn't seem popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom