Chat Room Histrionics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chat Room Histrionics

I dont get how people do the chatroom thing. Tried it and I spent more time trying to type and follow conversations that I do watching the game and you miss plays.

That's because this is you typing:

KidTyping.jpg

It boggles my mind and is an incredible waste of time. I treat the chat room as a venting board for my immediate and raw, unfiltered opinions. Last night was kittens and lollipops compared to the Boca and Tristan days. The team shot 34% and was consistently within 5 of an opponent whom shot only 18% from 3 and looked like a CYO team. What are we supposed to say? "Go team?" Like, all game long, no matter what happens?

What's funny is when we play like that and we eat our own on this board, if you read JB's post game comments, he is often saying the same thing as the "negative nancies".

Bingo! I couldn't agree more. Quite interesting how as seasoned as the OP apparently is, he can not simply recognize general venting in the heat of the moment, etc. Labeling these type folk as non-fans is very myopic & not very wise imho. So much for the adage, with age comes wisdom... :noidea:

Maybe its me being in a younger generation (30) than some older members but I don't get why this is always a big deal. I'm sure Arizona fans were acting the same way last night. It part of being a fan, you are, for the most part an irrational pyschopath when you watch your team play. From crazy highs to crazy lows to OCD rituals and random superstitions. It is what it is. I'm a fan, not a cheerleader.

I get that sometimes it goes over the line and we need to watch that but really, is it that big of a deal? People can have an issue with the fact we are in a dogfight for 80% of the game against middling-bottom dweller ACC teams. We're getting everyone's best shot which will only make us better but at the same time, for a 5-10 minute stretch last night we looked like a super-athletic version of the bad news bears and that seems to be a common occurrence in ACC play. I'm not going to be all Rah-Rah Hooray!! in my living room when my team is playing like they were drugged.

Its called the Expectation Syndrome. 20 and 0 team, best in history, lottery picks on team, best coach, most fans etc. SU basketball is elite and when every play doesnt support the expectation a reaction to deal with the inconsistency is the result.

I don't go into the chat room because a) I don't think it'd enhance my game viewing and b) I get way too worked up and would rather not put that crap into words for everyone to read.

But we've seen long stretches of bad play, as you've noted, and asking how much this team has improved from Game 12 to Game 20 is probably a valid question.

It's great to be 20-0; it's great to have, at the very least, two centers who contribute mostly positive things and a point guard who seems able to make plays when no one else can; and it's great to get experience winning games when we fall behind and/or don't play well.

Some of us also notice the flaws. It'd be cool to have dispassionate discussions about that on here, but it really doesn't seem popular.

Great Post Marsh, I would recommend you give the chat room a shot there is definitely some good discussions in there. The guy with the Coach handle usually has some good insights from and X and O standpoint and is a good read. Your right about wanting to have a discussion about the potential flaws and what that means come March but as you noted it becomes a pissing match when you even bring it up.

I fear that someday my twelve-year-old daughter will report me to the board for the things I say in front of the TV during games. I hope the players (who surely are listening in) are not discouraged by my venting.

Sure, we all vent during the frustrating parts of the game.
But I'll never understand (besides those unable to actually watch the game and looking for updates) how/why people can waste their time in there while the game is going on.

It takes a little getting used to. People are more emotional in there. Complaints, fear, and criticism are closer to the surface.

I think it has improved. Players get ripped routinely, but it is now people expressing game time reactions. It seemed like before a negative play would morph into an opportunity for some to voice all things they didn't like about a player. Now things seem to stay more on point.

what bothers me more then the negative fans and attitude when our team is down, is the people that bitch about the negative fans constantly

worry about your self all this board does is bitch about people bitching

LICuse said:
part of being a fan, you are, for the most part an irrational pyschopath when you watch your team play.

I agree, and actually think it's kinda fun to be schizophrenic like that during a game. Raw emotion. You can't usually do it in real life.
After the game, settle down and get back to reality.

I haven't spent a lot of time in the chat rooms, but it's fun to share the game with other fans. I usually read/type during time outs so I can watch the game while it's on.

I dont get how people do the chatroom thing. Tried it and I spent more time trying to type and follow conversations that I do watching the game and you miss plays.

Not my bag whatsoever.

Just for perspective. It's my bag because 99.9% of the time I am watching games by myself, or with a wife whom pretends to care, but really could care less. The chat room is a way to share the experience with like minded folks in real time. If I had an uncle or brother to watch with, I would not be in the chat. Once my kid is old enough to watch with me on a school night, I likely won't be in the chat. It's a real-time extension of the board. If I was a local, season ticket holder, I would be on the board a lot less.

I do agree, you miss a lot. But, that doesn't bother me because I usually rewatch the game anyway.

My iPad is so old that it takes forever to update some sections of the chat. I generally miss all the mean stuff since the lines of dialogue refresh in bunches if everyone posts at once. I'm too busy trying to multitask to go back and read. All I did was criticize our free throw shooting and CJ's shot selection. The only mean things I said were about the refs, and they are open game. They deserved every salvo. :)

Sorry but this post is way over the top and simply not accurate. Once again were letting the perceived history of the chat room get in the way of facts. I was there from about the 3 min mark in the first half until the end of the game. I cant speak for what happened/was said for most of the first half but for the entire time I was there I didnt see one poster say they hated JB, the players, the team, or our scheme, substitution pattern, or certainly the effort.

Only one person got out of line the entire second half and was quickly put on notice by CTO and he/she was not an issue the rest of the night. This board freaks out about every little criticism of the team whether its the media or other posters. Was everything positive in there last night? Of course not. People called our Ft shooting and shot selection at time "bad" and when Silent G air balled a 4 foot shot im sure someone said "that was awful". Big difference between questioning a shot and your accusation that someone called a player on our team horrendous or awful.

Bottom line is this is a great team that is 20-0 but also has some offensive flaws, its OK to point that out it doesn't make anyone less of a fan. In the end we all want the same thing, Coach Boehiem and Syracuse's second National Title.

There you go, getting all fair and reasonable. What the hell kind of place are you trying to turn this into? :D

I think it's fantastic. These are 1st world problems. Things are going so swimmingly that we have to get upset about behavior in the chat room! LOL.

Do you want to see some teams with problems to talk about? I can think of a bunch of them. Syracuse... cool runnin' mon! NOOO Problem... We are the mighty, mighty Orange and things have never been so good!

My iPad is so old that it takes forever to update some sections of the chat.

Your iPad is old? They've only been around for a few years, how the F can one be old? ... Of course, keep in mind I don't even have a cell phone ...

Your iPad is old? They've only been around for a few years, how the F can one be old? ... Of course, keep in mind I don't even have a cell phone ...

I had an original Ipad that was probably 4 years old and just got a new ipad air. Big difference

There you go, getting all fair and reasonable. What the hell kind of place are you trying to turn this into? :D

LOL good point, quick lets start multiple threads about Bjorn, the zone, JB retiring, and the new stadium.

I also wondered if some of those people were fans. Some of the worst were new names - so maybe they have recently come over from syracuse.com

Last night seemed particularly bad. Crazy negativity when we are down only 4 after going scoreless for 5 min - in the first half! Seemed like bunches of people in chat room expect SU to be ahead by 10 the entire game (haven't you watched other games this season?). Thought lots of comments were unnecessarily negative to the point of being silly - gratuitous negativity. Those comments just remind me to concentrate more on watching the game.

Last night's Chat Room ran true to form. The Cuse got ahead by 8, and there was only praise for our guys. A few missteps and the knives came out. From that point, until the Cuse pulled away from Wake Forest in the last several minutes (sound like a pattern?), words like "terrible", "horrible", "horrendous", and worse were attributed to our players and their effort, and our coach and his strategy and/or substitution pattern. No doubt we might benefit from more floor time for our subs; Wake Forest substituted very liberally. However, the fact is that the Cuse (and Boeheim's strategy) won the game. I might be naive, but I thought that was the object of playing the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (for sure I'm old, since I've been a Cuse fan since 1948), but my definition of a fan is someone who voices encouragement to our guys when they stub their toe and cheers their victories. I see it that we (players, coaches, and fans) are all in this together. It's our school. Analysis of a game and certain plays is one thing; savagely negative hyperbole is another. Those who truck in the latter, in my view, are not fans. Not sure what to call someone who boos his/her own team. For these people it is straight-up all or nothing; they either love or hate a player.

I view this as the same as the OT thread complaining or the sophomoric post complaining. If you don't like it don't participate. I went once and it wasn't for me but I completely get being frustrated during games and if this is providing an outlet for some fans to vent great no issues. I don't like doing the chat room during games but you know what it doesn't bother me a bit because I'm not there. Honestly we didn't do a whole lot in the first 30 minutes to get excited about in a positive manor. Yes we rebounded and defended well but even when we ran good offense and got the shots we wanted most of them didn't look so good after we shot them. It happens I'm sure that many chatted about it. :noidea: Whats the big deal? If it is a big deal umm I don't know leave the chat room or something.

Last night's Chat Room ran true to form. The Cuse got ahead by 8, and there was only praise for our guys. A few missteps and the knives came out. From that point, until the Cuse pulled away from Wake Forest in the last several minutes (sound like a pattern?), words like "terrible", "horrible", "horrendous", and worse were attributed to our players and their effort, and our coach and his strategy and/or substitution pattern. No doubt we might benefit from more floor time for our subs; Wake Forest substituted very liberally. However, the fact is that the Cuse (and Boeheim's strategy) won the game. I might be naive, but I thought that was the object of playing the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (for sure I'm old, since I've been a Cuse fan since 1948), but my definition of a fan is someone who voices encouragement to our guys when they stub their toe and cheers their victories. I see it that we (players, coaches, and fans) are all in this together. It's our school. Analysis of a game and certain plays is one thing; savagely negative hyperbole is another. Those who truck in the latter, in my view, are not fans. Not sure what to call someone who boos his/her own team. For these people it is straight-up all or nothing; they either love or hate a player.
waitWHA.gif

I had an original Ipad that was probably 4 years old and just got a new ipad air. Big difference

Well, I know what an IPA is, but I'm guessing it's not the same ...

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom