Chat Room Histrionics | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chat Room Histrionics

Coach Orange is one of the best posters here at breaking down each play. He's worth the price of admission alone in the chat room.

Thanks, Jeremy and VT--I appreciate it. :) To quote Sidney Deane, "It's hard work being this good…" :p

Seriously, though, I agree with the many posters that said people vent in the heat of the moment, and it's not just the fans that do this. Richard Sherman is a timely example. I also agree that constructive criticism/comments should be encouraged to cultivate logical discussion. We should be able to disagree without being disagreeable. The question is, "When does venting become destructive?" Knowing this boundary is necessary for the chat room and the forum to be fun and productive aspects of our fandom. :)

What was actually said in the chat last evening? I remember seeing the warning messages from CTO, but never saw what was said before them. My iPad makes following some conversations impossible when there is heavy traffic in the chat. It'll update like 10 messages at once.

Last night's Chat Room ran true to form. The Cuse got ahead by 8, and there was only praise for our guys. A few missteps and the knives came out. From that point, until the Cuse pulled away from Wake Forest in the last several minutes (sound like a pattern?), words like "terrible", "horrible", "horrendous", and worse were attributed to our players and their effort, and our coach and his strategy and/or substitution pattern. No doubt we might benefit from more floor time for our subs; Wake Forest substituted very liberally. However, the fact is that the Cuse (and Boeheim's strategy) won the game. I might be naive, but I thought that was the object of playing the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (for sure I'm old, since I've been a Cuse fan since 1948), but my definition of a fan is someone who voices encouragement to our guys when they stub their toe and cheers their victories. I see it that we (players, coaches, and fans) are all in this together. It's our school. Analysis of a game and certain plays is one thing; savagely negative hyperbole is another. Those who truck in the latter, in my view, are not fans. Not sure what to call someone who boos his/her own team. For these people it is straight-up all or nothing; they either love or hate a player.

I was in the chat room and Cuse was playing like crap in the first half. Now the team is above being voiced how bad they were playing? Take the good with the bad and take the blinders off

I think 99.9% of the chatroom participants are diehard Syracuse fans. And when I say diehard, I mean DIEHARD.

Very few people watch every single Syracuse basketball or football game. It just doesn't happen.

The people in the chatroom - and on this board, for that matter - are about as passionate as you will find.

I said a few not-so-great things about Gbinije last night - but I never called him any names. I said he was playing terribly, yes. Because he was. I said he's not a very good basketball player right now - because he isn't. At least in my opinion.

That doesn't change the fact that I am about as big a fan of Syracuse University athletics as there is. I went to SU and racked up thousands of dollars in student loans because my dad made me watch Jim Boeheim's team when I was little - and was a passionate fan, just like me.

Different strokes for different folks, and you may not agree with how certain people cheer for their teams. But it's not fair to tell people how to be a fan.

I can't believe there is a 4 page (on my phone) thread discussing what should or shouldn't be allowed.

Bottom line is attacking players is not allowed. If you're someone that doesn't know the difference between being critical of a players play and just throwing out gratuitous he sucks or blows etc etc, then I suggest not using the chat room.

Last year we blocked about a dozen posters from using the chat. We undid that for the start of this year. If people are going to revert back to name calling then they'll go back to not bring allowed in. There are only a couple right now.

By the sounds of this thread, it seems like it got out of control again last night. I logged into the chat but never paid attention to it as I kept getting interrupted by the kids and was too focused on the game. I could reach out to a couple to inquire who the perps were.

If you think the chat is your own personal playground to vent your frustrations against a player or coach, you're wrong. It's only a handful of people (besides the occasional troll) that do it but there are plenty of good posters who won't go there because if those handful. I'll side with the larger number of people who stay away.

The chat is there for everyone to enjoy. But it has to be enjoyable for all. Tread lightly in there or you may find your privileges banned.

I can't believe there is a 4 page (on my phone) thread discussing what should or shouldn't be allowed.

Bottom line is attacking players is not allowed. If you're someone that doesn't know the difference between being critical of a players play and just throwing out gratuitous he sucks or blows etc etc, then I suggest not using the chat room.

Last year we blocked about a dozen posters from using the chat. We undid that for the start of this year. If people are going to revert back to name calling then they'll go back to not bring allowed in. There are only a couple right now.

By the sounds of this thread, it seems like it got out of control again last night. I logged into the chat but never paid attention to it as I kept getting interrupted by the kids and was too focused on the game. I could reach out to a couple to inquire who the perps were.

If you think the chat is your own personal playground to vent your frustrations against a player or coach, you're wrong. It's only a handful of people (besides the occasional troll) that do it but there are plenty of good posters who won't go there because if those handful. I'll side with the larger number of people who stay away.

The chat is there for everyone to enjoy. But it has to be enjoyable for all. Tread lightly in there or you may find your privileges banned.
Bees... It did NOT get out of control last night. I know how to moderate a chat room... to allow people to vent in a civilized manner, but to clamp down on people who are out of line. Three posters were momentarily out of line. I warned them that they would be killed if they did not stop... and they all stopped. I thought it was a perfectly fine chat room... given how the game progressed. As Al McGuire once said, it was not all "seashells and balloons." But that game did not deserve all seashells and balloons... at least not until the last few minutes. There was nothing wrong with the chat room last night.

cto said:
Bees... It did NOT get out of control last night. I know how to moderate a chat room... to allow people to vent in a civilized manner, but to clamp down on people who are out of line. Three posters were momentarily out of line. I warned them that they would be killed if they did not stop... and they all stopped. I thought it was a perfectly fine chat room... given how the game progressed. As Al McGuire once said, it was not all "seashells and balloons." But that game did not deserve all seashells and balloons... at least not until the last few minutes. There was nothing wrong with the chat room last night.

Like I said, I didn't pay attention so I don't know how it went. My post was based upon the back and forth in this thread on what should be allowed and not allowed and those claiming they should be allowed to vent. So I wanted to set the record straight.

You can't boo from a chat room. The players have no idea what is said in there and it has no impact of them.

I like the chat room because it's like sitting and watching a game with a group of friends. If somebody goes over the line, they are swiftly told to behave themselves and they generally do. The only thing IO don't like is when, after losses, (remember them?), some people show up who haven't even been in there during the game show up to rip the team and Boeheim. But even that was more of a last decade trend. All the winning seems to have kept those clowns away.

Where else could I get a real-time report that the officials suck and the announcers blow? Or is it vice- versa? I mean, I'd have to wait at least until the first TV timeout to read the thread that somebody started about it.

Is the point to be civilized human beings, i.e. not throwing around invective willy-nilly, regardless of the target? Or are we trying to protect the fragile egos of the players and families who only very rarely enter this domain?

I warned them that they would be killed if they did not stop... and they all stopped.

I read some folks were overreacting, and now I can see who one of them was. ;) CTO ordering remote drone strikes? Would the drones look like that innocuous owl?

Can you imagine sitting in the living room partially dressed, upset, in various forms of non-sobriety and out of nowhere seeing that thing coming at you?

I read some folks were overreacting, and now I can see who one of them was ;) CTO ordering remote drone strikes? Would the drones look like that innocuous owl?
Snowy owls are fierce. They have vision you cannot imagine... they see all and know all...they are wise beyond belief... and their talons are lethal.

My snowy owl avatar is not random. It is not a hummingbird or a parakeet or some other froo-froo bird. It is a SNOWY OWL.

Snowy owls are fierce. They have vision you cannot imagine... they see all and know all...they are wise beyond belief... and their talons are lethal.

My snowy owl avatar is not random. It is not a hummingbird or a parakeet or some other froo-froo bird. It is a SNOWY OWL.

I presume you have seen " The Big Year" with Steve Martin? My grandmother is a huge bird lover and as a kid always had me raiding her bird books. So kind of have an affinity for them myself. Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Considering the snowy owl is the prized bird they are searching for at the end was thinking maybe you are a fan of the movie as well?

I presume you have seen " The Big Year" with Steve Martin? My grandmother is a huge bird lover and as a kid always had me raiding her bird books. So kind of have an affinity for them myself. Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Considering the snowy owl is the prized bird they are searching for at the end was thinking maybe you are a fan of the movie as well?
I have never seen the movie. I must check it out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

i don't enjoy it if alibrat does. what a conundrum

I'll side with the larger number of people who stay away.
Just curious why you'd side with any one particular group, especially the group that doesn't use it?

SWC said:
If somebody goes over the line, they are swiftly told to behave themselves and they generally do.

Double-conundrum. If we cannot attack the players, we should not attack each other. What makes the chat room less enjoyable for me is when a group of posters, acting as deputy admins, armed with their interpretation of the unwritten "rules", and feel they have the right to jump all over somebody whose post is a) perfectly understandable given the context that the game is live and we are in chat room (as opposed to the "permanence" of the message board), and b) I might happen to agree with. Instead of just disagreeing or ignoring it, they question its existence, and often the person's fandom. The old "are you a fan?" canard. If the person wasn't a fan, they wouldn't be sitting in a chat room with a bunch of internet whackos.

Just curious why you'd side with any one particular group, especially the group that doesn't use it?

Double-conundrum. If we cannot attack the players, we should not attack each other. What makes the chat room less enjoyable for me is when a group of posters, acting as deputy admins, armed with their interpretation of the unwritten "rules", and feel they have the right to jump all over somebody whose post is a) perfectly understandable given the context that the game is live and we are in chat room (as opposed to the "permanence" of the message board), and b) I might happen to agree with. Instead of just disagreeing or ignoring it, they question its existence, and often the person's fandom. The old "are you a fan?" canard. If the person wasn't a fan, they wouldn't be sitting in a chat room with a bunch of internet whackos.

Spot on Swish.

100% agree with CTO, the chat room was absolutely fine the other night save for 1 or 2 posters who got frustrated and were immediately brought back to reality by CTO.

Bees the chat room the other night was night and day from two years ago and even last year. I dont recall any personal attacks on players and as noted before I only remember one poster who went a little overboard and CTO was on him like white on rice.

For the most part the chat room is really enjoyable, I only make it to the chat about once every 3-4 games but I havent seen nearly the hysterics and issues we used to get in the past. The main issue is what Swish noted in his post about other fans questioning the loyalty of other fans etc etc.

swish7 said:
Just curious why you'd side with any one particular group, especially the group that doesn't use it?.

1. Because I agree with them.

2. They FAR out number the others. Got one more complaint this AM. It's constant.

3. Attacking players and coaches or bring over the top negative, isn't going to be tolerated. If someone isn't mature enough to understand that then they should stay out.

JeremyCuse said:
100% agree with CTO, the chat room was absolutely fine the other night save for 1 or 2 posters who got frustrated and were immediately brought back to reality by CTO.

It must have been bad enough that people complained and now one more long time poster isn't going back.

It must have been bad enough that people complained and now one more long time poster isn't going back.

I can't speak for that poster but I would love to know what was so bad or over the top? Sorry but as someone who has seen that chat room get so bad even I had to step in and say something in the past there was absolutely nothing that bad on Wed night. This is being blown way out of proportion.

Also If I am being honest the only bad thing I saw the entire night was a poster who I assume is newer (never saw the handle before) say "we s uck". Which is over the top and CTO immediately made it clear he/she was about to be shown the door. Not sure what people are complaining about but if there looking for everyone to hold hands and sing the fight song for 2 hours in the chatroom then they dont know Div 1 sports. This board is changra la compared to others out there.

Last edited:
There was some negativity but Bees, if you can't trust CTO's take on how it was last night, I'm not sure what to tell you. Perhaps you two can discuss it further between yourselves.

I can't speak for that poster but I would love to know what was so bad or over the top? Sorry but as someone who has seen that chat room get so bad even I had to step in and say something in the past there was absolutely nothing that bad on Wed night. This is being blown way out of proportion.

Also If I am being honest the only bad thing I saw the entire night was a poster who I assume is newer (never saw the handle before) say "we s uck". Which is over the top and CTO immediately made it clear he/she was about to be shown the door. Not sure what people are complaining about but if there looking for everyone to hold hands and sing the fight song for 2 hours in the chatroom then they dont know Div 1 sports. This board is changra la compared to others out there.

Pretty much this. I was in the chat room and really only recall that one instance of someone saying something that CTO had gave them a warning. Not everything is going to be sunshine and roses, especially when the team was playing so bad. A chat room is just that, 25-30 different people, different personalities. There was already a moderator in the chat room, so the people that have blown it out of proportion might need to calm down a little to be honest.

I love the chat room. It is for me what SWC and Swish said. I usually am sitting alone at home watching the games and this way I am watching with other passionate fans. My husband is the most negative, so the chat room is mild for me, lol. I am even at the point of bringing my ipad to the sports bar so that I can turn on the chat and learn more about the game through the analysis of Coach and other informed posters. I also love what Poppy said in that I also can confirm when I think the refs made a horrible call . After I yell at the TV I immediately confirm that most of the posters agree with me. If they are not posting, then I know it was wishful thinking, or that I am watching through my Orange glasses. About the most criticism I post about a player is if they made a poor shot decision,, such as "that was a bad shot choice" or "they should not have taken that shot". Or I was posting the other night "can we please make 2 free throws in a row?" But I would never question JB, because seriously how can you question a Hall of Fame Coach who has won more games at one school (our school) than any other coach, and has had such success. This team is 20-0. They may frustrate us at times, but so do all teams and all players. After the game is over the cardiac ones are really the best. As far as those who question how can we both watch and post, I don't always do that. I catch up during time outs, or when we are taking the ball up the floor, and I can multitask and watch and type at the same time. But I do focus on the game first, and post later. Also I made up my own bad word, which is Rrrr when I get frustrated. No one can get upset if I type Rrrr. It is just a confirmation of frustration at the moment. Seriously you should join our chats. They are fun, and you will feel like you have a little Syracuse family with you when watching the games.

kuethstheman said:
There was some negativity but Bees, if you can't trust CTO's take on how it was last night, I'm not sure what to tell you. Perhaps you two can discuss it further between yourselves.

It's not a matter of trusting anyone. Just stating that some didn't like the chat and one more has said they aren't going back. Nobody hadn't gotten banned because CTO didn't ban anyone and I wasn't there. Just putting out the fact that bashing players and coaches it over the top negativity won't be allowed. Plus CTO is nicer than me. She warns people and they may stop... for that game. But history says it is the same people game after game and season after season. We shouldn't have to baby sit. So I just get rid of them. I'll have to be sure to do a transcript on the phone tomorrow since I'll be at the game and not on the computer. Tomorrow has potential to get nasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom