Hungry Chucks is back | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

Zorba. Bring back Zorba.
The most unbelievable, delicious turkey subs in the world. Perfection with roll and exact right amount of turkey, lettuce, onions, mayo and melted cheese. Incredibly fresh and heated/toasted just right. The melted cheese was to die for. I dream to this day of a Zorba's toasted turkey sub.

Chuck's was open when I graduated in 1999. Did did it close shortly after?
Chucks was still a go to place 03-07 when I was there. A glorious shitehole where I could down pitchers of cheap beer at 19 with a fake ID I made myself. I would never go back except for a nostalgia pitcher before a game to remember nights of using the trash can and sink as a urinal before striking out with a tri delt

Chuck’s to my knowledge wasn’t open when I was in school (1999-03). Konrad’s/44’s was the underage bar. Faegan’s, Darwin’s, Maggie’s were the other staples.
I think it opened Fall of 03.

I lived off campus senior year, and HCs was home base. I could sit and read and drink coffee and wait for my next class. After graduation, we used to hit HCs before every home football game.

The most unbelievable, delicious turkey subs in the world. Perfection with roll and exact right amount of turkey, lettuce, onions, mayo and melted cheese. Incredibly fresh and heated/toasted just right. The melted cheese was to die for. I dream to this day of a Zorba's toasted turkey sub.
Yes!!

New place is trying but not sure how good the outlook is. I have been a couple of times. Unfortunately not sure they'll ever pull the students back in fully but who knows. Just need to build up a base for it. The orange crate is the "new chucks", as in when I graduated (2012) that's where basically everyone went.

For me it was Zorba's roast beef subs. I actually worked for Johnny doing delivery in my junior year ('82-83). Watched how he made the subs, but I still haven't been able to replicate it on my own and no other sub shop has come close either.

For me it was Zorba's roast beef subs. I actually worked for Johnny doing delivery in my junior year ('82-83). Watched how he made the subs, but I still haven't been able to replicate it on my own and no other sub shop has come close either.
yes a good one too as was ham and cheese, Zorba never missed!

Such a dump

The original that was downstairs from Sutters used to have amazing hot subs for about $2.50 and pitchers of beer on tap (including Hofbrau Dark, IIRC) for about $5. We'd eat downstairs, bang down a pitcher or two, and then go upstairs to dance at Sutters (after they moved the tables out following dinner) to pick up girls. The other place was a shtt hole, with an inch of beer on the floor and no food at all.

The original that was downstairs from Sutters used to have amazing hot subs for about $2.50 and pitchers of beer on tap (including Hofbrau Dark, IIRC) for about $5. We'd eat downstairs, bang down a pitcher or two, and then go upstairs to dance at Sutters (after they moved the tables out following dinner) to pick up girls. The other place was a shtt hole, with an inch of beer on the floor and no food at all.
With success?

Sure. I was young and good looking back then, and lived in the house at the corner of Euclid and Comstock, so it was a short walk back to my place.
My buddy lived there soph year, in basement of a house. Good spot. I lived down the road on Comstock in a house for 2 years.

My buddy lived there soph year, in basement of a house. Good spot. I lived down the road on Comstock in a house for 2 years.
i had buddies who moved into 813 comstock. wild parties. I read someone demolished the place. The stuff that happened there that year was unbelievable...thank god no phones, cameras, videos or social media in 1988.

i had buddies who moved into 813 comstock. wild parties. I read someone demolished the place. The stuff that happened there that year was unbelievable...thank god no phones, cameras, videos or social media in 1988.
Someone has a Polaroid collecting dust in their basement.

20 years ago there were 6/7 bars on Marshall St all popping Thurs-Sun AM. Wing nights on Wednesdays. Maggies for Saturdays.

Darwins was a total Thursday night haven. You could get great food there and at Faegans as well.

Now? Marshall absolutely sucks, couldn’t even get a burger at Faegans the last time I was there.

It's the building where the New Times was born. I was on the top floor, looking from Euclid, I was the dormer window on the left.

20 years ago there were 6/7 bars on Marshall St all popping Thurs-Sun AM. Wing nights on Wednesdays. Maggies for Saturdays.

Darwins was a total Thursday night haven. You could get great food there and at Faegans as well.

Now? Marshall absolutely sucks, couldn’t even get a burger at Faegans the last time I was there.
As long as Varsity Pizza is still there, I'm happy.
If you think it was popping 20 years ago, you should have been there 40 years ago before drinking age went up to 21 in 1985!
Maggie's and Chuck;s were my favorite places to hang out back in those days.