JB and a Plan ??? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he really did want to leave the program in a good place after the sanctions but just couldn’t get over the hump. I think hiring hop would be a huge mistake, hiring in the family in general is a mistake.

Let’s say for conversation purposes, Hop comes back next year. Can we have four assistant coaches? If JB doesn’t go on the road recruiting, could Hop go if he’s not officially an assistant coach? That would allow Hop to recruit his players. My guess you can’t have four coaches, but could he play another role?

Let’s say for conversation purposes, Hop comes back next year. Can we have four assistant coaches? If JB doesn’t go on the road recruiting, could Hop go if he’s not officially an assistant coach? That would allow Hop to recruit his players. My guess you can’t have four coaches, but could he play another role?
They can create new positions.

Head coach in waiting 2.0
CO-head coach
Chief Coaching Officer

Follow me on this ride...Tin foil hat and all...

After the 21-22 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins will be fired from the University of Washington.
Before the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins returns to Syracuse as its lead assistant.
After the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season JB retires as Syracuse's head coach
Before the 23-24 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins is promoted to Syracuse Head Coach.
Thats some House of Cards 3 D level chess moves into the future

I think he really did want to leave the program in a good place after the sanctions but just couldn’t get over the hump. I think hiring hop would be a huge mistake, hiring in the family in general is a mistake.
I really thought we were on the way last year, to be honest. There was pretty solid talent and depth on the roster, and only one senior.

Last offseason was a whirlwind of gut punches.

I feel like I'll be in a never ending game of "what if" if we don't give Hop a chance.
Give him a shot, if it works He'll coach til he's 80.
If it doesn't, blow it all up and look outside.
I say 65ish and then move along.

If the ironclad plan is Hop, that means Hop must know. I would say that’s pretty unethical if he’s in touch with SU while still under contract with Washington, unless he’s been told he’s done after this year.

An ironclad plan—did he say it was with JW? The tweet said “we,“ but who is “we?” Could have been Juli, in which case we know nothing. I’m assuming he was speaking about context within the ADept. Which has to mean that promotion is from within, because they would have secured a commitment to take over. And he didn’t say JW has a plan, separating himself from the outcome, which he might have done if the successor were not from the current bench disciples. Right?

I dunno. This all sounds too much like a contradiction of what he said last week, which was something like he plans to keep coaching because he has no reason not to [which was probably just a defensive reaction to being questioned by someone not tall enough to understand the game]. This could be another five year plan with an un-announced HCiW. Are we going to be trying to read Red and GMac’s expressions and body language next game? One will be sullen and the other will have a rosy glow….

I hate the prospect of another year of all this same conversation and another mid-pack team. The only thing that takes some of the stink off that would be some certainty.

Last edited:
These statements effectively limit the search to 3 candidates; my question is, is Hop seriously in consideration? If so, would his HC experience (and success or lack thereof) be a positive or negative?

Not sure how you glean that from JB's comments.

If a coach in waiting on the staff had been named, they wouldn't hesitate to announce it for exactly the continuity purposes that JB mentions. That they haven't is extremely telling.

Last edited:
I think you are reading too much into who is the next coach, the ironclad to me signals when he will step down. Quite frankly if hop is the next coach then SU should get sued by UW. Would be shady Asf

Jw is a very smart guy. He isn't going to throw out 50 years of an amazing foundation because of a bad year. Nor is he going to crap on JB. All the talk about Few and every other outsider is baloney. There is no way JW is going to not give one of Jims guys a shot. B Army, the love of his past players, 30k in the dome, His foundation, His name on the court, HOF coach and you JW is going to hire some outsider. He would have to be nuts and or have a complete disdain for Jim. You just don't throw out a top 10 tradition unless its broken and it isn't. Just needs fresh legs and one of Jims can do it and will do it well. Next year is the last so let's enjoy it and hope he pulls off a miracle run.

This is a regurgitation of the same horse crap you've been spewing for years.

Repeating something false doesn't make it true.

JB is signaling folks…
Seems like he really wants people to know that he supports the plan so that people will not surmise that he was asked to step down, whenever that may be. Just a wild guess though. I think his use of the terms "ironclad" and "good" are more purposeful.

One thing we may find out...is whether Jb is as loyal as everyone has claimed he is after all of these years. It's easy to be loyal when it is all your way. The test comes when it isn't.

Very good point. JB has had at least one, and possibly two post-Hopkins departure succession plan proposals politely declined by JW. I could definitely see him pulling a Dean Smith to tie the ADs hands and get what he would consider a favorable temporary outcome, but it would be just that. Temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom