Melo overrated? | Syracusefan.com

Melo overrated?

Cuse House

All American
I can't open the article because it is ESPN insiders, but apparently ESPN insiders thinks Melo is a top 5 overrated player. Complete and utter garbage!

I love Melo but at the NBA level he is irrelevant - he's so far behind Durant, Leonard or James - he's not a player u add to ur team and probably win a title - put him on the Clippers or Heat and they still are behind SA, GS and the Cavs

I love Melo but at the NBA level he is irrelevant - he's so far behind Durant, Leonard or James - he's not a player u add to ur team and probably win a title - put him on the Clippers or Heat and they still are behind SA, GS and the Cavs

This is where I get lost - I feel like most (obviously from my perspective) people that I know, you even see it on this forum quite a bit and we're Syracuse fans, tend to think this way. So how is Melo overrated? He's never rated very high - at least over the past few years in any sort of polling I see by "experts" or whomever. If you watch a Knicks game obviously the announcers talk him up, but that's all hyperbole from the color guys that any team's star gets.

ESPN usually ranks him somewhere around god-awful at basketball in their preseason experts/players poll thing - so, not sure they can call him overrated.

He's probably the most criminally underrated player in the NBA at this point - he's got fantastic name recognition going for him. That's about it. Not sure that makes you overrated - just overly popular, I guess...

"Irrelevant"...LOL. I don't think you're using that word correctly.

Put Kawhi or KD on New York right now instead of Melo and they still suck maybeeeeee Lebron gets them to the Playoffs, maybe.
Kawhi Leonard was DPOY last year. He would get the Knicks in the playoffs.

Durant is more efficient than Melo he would get the Knicks to the playoffs.

Melo is an all-Star and an asset to Syracuse University for all he has done but the guy isn't an all-around player.

He is Bernard King 2.0. Meaning he is a gifted offensive player but his defense isn't good and he can't carry a team without more support. Melo is a top 10-15 player in the NBA.

Durant and Leonard are top 5 players behind Lebron/Anthony Davis/Steph Curry.

Comparing the knicks to another team is silly. If you want to know where Melo stands take a look at how he does playing with his peers in the Olympics.
FIBA game is completely different than the NBA.

Melo's game translates a lot better to International basketball because he can play a stretch 4 and his shooting is insanely valuable. Foreign teams zone a lot more than the NBA which has defensive 3 seconds.

Carmelo is a valuable member of team USA but right now he is a bench energy guy who brings shooting.

USA starting lineup
PG-C. Paul/K. Irving
SG- J. Harden/R.Westbrook
SF- L. James/P. George
PF- K. Durant/C. Anthony
C- A. Davis/D. Cousins
bench: D. Green/K. Leonard

Melo is an all-Star and an asset to Syracuse University for all he has done but the guy isn't an all-around player.

He is Bernard King 2.0. Meaning he is a gifted offensive player but his defense isn't good and he can't carry a team without more support. Melo is a top 10-15 player in the NBA.

Melo is among the top SF's in both rebounds and assists. I swear people just repeat the same things over and over with him and don't even comment on what's actually happening.

As a Syracuse fan, I am proud of Carmelo and all he does in the NBA.

Melo isn't one of the best players in the NBA this season, however people thinking that some other star could come in and suddenly elevate NY to a contender are off-base.

As good as Kevin Durant is, he wouldn't carry this Knicks team to the playoffs. Same with Kawhi. I mean do people sit and look at what the Knicks roster looks like? Jose Calderon and Afflalo are one of the worst starting backcourts in the entire league, and with the NBA becoming more perimeter focused, that's the biggest reason why the Knicks aren't a playoff team.

Durant had Harden and Westbrook, and couldn't win a championship. LeBron doesn't win championships without All Star players with him. Melo has never played with anyone close to the level of players who LeBron, Durant and Leonard have played with. IMO the Knicks, as constituted, would not do significantly better or worse with those guys than Melo.

Melo is among the top SF's in both rebounds and assists. I swear people just repeat the same things over and over with him and don't even comment on what's actually happening.
Melo is having a career year in assists. He always rebounded the ball decently. Melo's D is not elite. He is a top 10-15 player that is nothing to sneeze at but he isn't a better player than Leonard/Durant/George.

He just isn't.

We need the board NBA experts MikeSU02 and Knicks411 to chime in. They may disagree with me and agree with you. I think Melo is definitely an all-Star and top 10-15 player but he isn't as good as the players I posted above.

It's based on the 'what have you done for me lately' mentality. Melo had a bad season last year due to a combination of terrible, awful, very, very, very bad teammates (I can't overstate how bad they were) and injury. This season, he's played well but not up to the level he's normally at, mostly because he hasn't been 100% healthy the whole season.

He's only overrated if he's being compared to the top 5 (maybe 10) players in the league. Outside of that context, he's not overrated at all. His offensive game has expanded now that he has players to pass to who can score once in a blue moon and his defense is not (has never been) as bad as advertised, especially this season.

how's he rated? I don't think people put him in the class with Lebron and Durant anymore, and Leonard and probably George have passed him. (I looked up George, not sure on him) Melo is a hell of a player, and a deserving all star in the east for sure.

Put Kawhi or KD on New York right now instead of Melo and they still suck maybeeeeee Lebron gets them to the Playoffs, maybe.

Come on. Lebron easily gets them in the playoffs. KD does for sure also. Leonard you've never seen with as the clear #1 option, but I'm pretty sure he would too. Melo has a chance to get them in himself, and the other 3 are all better than him.

He's tied for 17th in the league among SF in assist rate. He's tied with Durant and Gordon Heyward, ahead of Leonard, and behind Lebron. A lot of the guys ahead of him aren't guys who play the same role in the offense that he does. He's second in the league in rebounding among SF; really first as only Quincy Acy in limited minutes is ahead of him.

Last edited:
Sometimes it seems that basketball is a lot like chess. When you have 2 players that go well together, it works much better than just one. Curry needs Thompson, Napier needed Boatwright, Cooney needs Gbinije, Jordan needed Pippen, Durant needs Westbrook. Carmelo had JR Smith, who went nuts after a while, until he went to the Cavaliers with Shumpert...

Its amazing the confidence some people have with LeBron, since it seems like LeBron himself can never have enough talent around him. Now he's scrambling so much to compete that he/coach/whatever is trying to change the whole style of play of his team. Which is negating Kevin Love. Basketball is complicated. You need many options, and a couple sure things.

Sometimes it seems that basketball is a lot like chess. When you have 2 players that go well together, it works much better than just one. Curry needs Thompson, Napier needed Boatwright, Cooney needs Gbinije, Jordan needed Pippen, Durant needs Westbrook. Carmelo had JR Smith, who went nuts after a while, until he went to the Cavaliers with Shumpert...

Its amazing the confidence some people have with LeBron, since it seems like LeBron himself can never have enough talent around him

Have you seen the Cavs rosters from the first run? They won 66 games (10 teams in NBA history have won more) and here are 2-5 in minutes played, after Lebron
2. Mo Williams
3. Andy Varejao
4. Delonte West
5. Daniel Gibson

I mean.

Honestly, the more I think about it, winning 66 games with that crew may be Lebron's greatest accomplishment in the NBA. If Melo had that kind of supporting cast people would make excuses for him if they won 35 games.

Have you seen the Cavs rosters from the first run? They won 66 games (10 teams in NBA history have won more) and here are 2-5 in minutes played, after Lebron
2. Mo Williams
3. Andy Varejao
4. Delonte West
5. Daniel Gibson

I mean.

Honestly, the more I think about it, winning 66 games with that crew may be Lebron's greatest accomplishment in the NBA. If Melo had that kind of supporting cast people would make excuses for him if they won 35 games.

Good points. Only this board believes he is in the conversation with a LBJ, Durant, etc. I personally think he is a bit overrated as a total basketball player. I also believe Kawhi (a LEGIT MVP candidate) and Paul George are better basketball players. Nothing wrong with that since both are seriously GREAT players, younger, and impact the game in more ways than he does. Melo will always be one of the best scoring forwards to have played the game. What's wrong with that?

2. Mo Williams
3. Andy Varejao
4. Delonte West
5. Daniel Gibson

I mean.

Boobie Gibson and Mo Williams were the 2nd and 3rd options. The 2009 Cavs roster was terrible minus Lebron and it took Dwight going insane to keep them out of the Finals. Then in 2010 all they did was add Shaq for Dwight Howard and they lost to Boston.

Lebron James made chicken salad out of chicken chit in Cleveland his first tenure.

Carmelo is an all-Star player but he isn't the all-around player that Lebron/Leonard are or as good as Durant.

Good points. Only this board believes he is in the conversation with a LBJ, Durant, etc. I personally think he is a bit overrated as a total basketball player. I also believe Kawhi (a LEGIT MVP candidate) and Paul George are better basketball players. Nothing wrong with that since both are seriously GREAT players, younger, and impact the game in more ways than he does. Melo will always be one of the best scoring forwards to have played the game. What's wrong with that?

I'm not sure on George, he's a better defensive player, but Melo is still better on the offensive end. Could flip a coin there. Leonard is great though.

Boobie Gibson and Mo Williams were the 2nd and 3rd options. The 2009 Cavs roster was terrible minus Lebron and it took Dwight going insane to keep them out of the Finals. Then in 2010 all they did was add Shaq for Dwight Howard and they lost to Boston.

Lebron James made chicken salad out of chicken chit in Cleveland his first tenure.

Carmelo is an all-Star player but he isn't the all-around player that Lebron/Leonard are or as good as Durant.

It's incredible; look at the other teams that won 66 games in a season and compare the rosters. It's laughable.

I'm not sure on George, he's a better defensive player, but Melo is still better on the offensive end. Could flip a coin there. Leonard is great though.

It's incredible; look at the other teams that won 66 games in a season and compare the rosters. It's laughable.

It is a coin flip with him and George. I still say George impacts the game more. It's a good debate. No question Leonard is a better player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom