THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why Mali is inbounding the ball. Have anyone else do it. You know they are doubling G so have DC2 in bound it or something. Literally anyone else. I would have had Cooney in bound it and have Mali in the spot Cooney was in. We are down 1 and Mali is way quicker. He would have gotten to the lane and finished. I'm really not that upset because I knew that is what we were going to do and that it would fail.

This was my initial thought as well. Have Cooney inbound it. If they tried to use his man to double Gbinije, then you can get the ball back to him and still feel alright with a 4 on 3 with Cooney and Mali as options. But you don't want to force Cooney into that position to attempt a game-winner when he's coming off the bench after sitting that long. It's just a terrible situation to put a shooter in. I really don't understand what Boeheim was thinking.

How does a guy who shot these percentages last few games:

.250% (4-16) at FSU
.273% (3-11) at UNC
.125% (1-8) vs NC State
.111% (1-9) vs Pitt

Get the last shot of the game / season?

Blows my mind.

That was what Pitt's defense conceded--intentionally.

They wanted the ball in his hands, because he doesn't advance it as swiftly as a Gbinije or a Howard would. And they gambled with him taking that shot, cold, after being on the bench for 20 minutes of real time.

He should have been inbounding.

Dixon knows our players better then Boehiem.....the only person who thinks Cooney is a great shooter is Boehiem......and to put him in the game when a drive to the basket will win it is a joke.....Cooney is one dimensional and he's actually a poor shooter if you look at how many open looks he gets...at least we can be happy he's gone and in two years we'll get rid of the other problem.

why wouldn't you take it to the rack? there were 6 seconds AND his guy fell down.

We'll find out in the press conference! Two point win looks better in the paper???

Ask Mike Bray what he thinks about your last statement

im talking about game winning or game tying shots in the last minute of a game. has cooney made 1 that you remember? and hes taken alot of them.

you think we tie the game in the last couple minutes if cooney was out there? no way cuz he would have been chucking up 3s and missing.

That was what Pitt's defense conceded--intentionally.

They wanted the ball in his hands, because he doesn't advance it as swiftly as a Gbinije or a Howard would. And they gambled with him taking that shot, cold, after being on the bench for 20 minutes of real time.

He should have been inbounding.

Yeah, having him inbound would have been the move on that one. Was Howard in the game?

Not making excuses since I am just as upset but he had no idea of time left ...damn clocks

The inbound was 6.6 seconds. Any basketball player with common sense knows he has plenty of time to get to the basket or even quick pass for an open shot.

Literally an acre of space to drive to the basket, but since he's incapable of driving and slow as dirt he jacks up a prayer.

Howard should have subbed back in at the out of bounds.

SERIOUSLY WHY DID HE DRIBBLE RIGHT
Cooney should have kept driving into the Pitt player who was guarding him. He was off balance and would have been called for a PENALTY !!! Amen !

Yeah, having him inbound would have been the move on that one. Was Howard in the game?

Howard was out. 5 on the floor: Roberson, Lydon, Malachi, Cooney, G

I'd like to go back and watch it again, but the one time I saw it in real time, he got his man to slip and pulled up while he was still down. In that kind of situation you can do a lot worse than a relatively open 3.

I put it more on the coach/Gbinije. It looked like we were surprised that Pittsburgh was actually trying to defend us full-court. Just makes no sense; it didn't appear that we even attempted to run a play.
Well, the problem with defending full court there is if the player who has the ball gets by his man, it's pretty much a fast break. Pitt knew what they were doing -- G, Mali, and even Howard would have been most likely able to do this. They conceded the ball to Cooney.

Storybook ending.

For people who hate books.
Am I supposed to be a man? Am I supposed to say, "It's OK, I don't mind, I don't mind"? Well, I mind! I mind big time! And you know what the worst part is? I NEVER LEARNED TO READ.

Howard was out. 5 on the floor: Roberson, Lydon, Malachi, Cooney, G
I didn't understand having Roberson in...The chances that we had enough time to dribble full court, miss, and score off an OReb was very slim -- and that would have been Robey's only usage in that spot.

Howard should have inbounded. Send Cooney long and try to get G/Mali the ball.

Not to pile on when it comes to Cooney but the idea that he was on the bench for that long doesn't matter. He would have missed it anyway. For me what is frustrating is that when he plays 36 minutes he is just tired at the end of the game but when he sits he should be fresh. Unless the argument is that he forgot how to shoot while on the bench. The reality is it's unfair to put him in that position. I love Boeheim more than almost anyone I would think. I think he is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. I really believe that. If for some reason there were no timeouts then ok but they reviewed to see who touched it last and you say everyone run over and get the play from him quickly. It makes no sense to have Cooney be put in a position where he is taking the shot. He should be inbounding bottom line. There is no justification for it in my opinion.

Again, I'm not as upset that the ball was in his hands as much as I am upset with the shot selection...

Am I supposed to be a man? Am I supposed to say, "It's OK, I don't mind, I don't mind"? Well, I mind! I mind big time! And you know what the worst part is? I NEVER LEARNED TO READ.

Oscar moment.

Lydon has hit about 100% of his shots at the buzzer before half this year...I'm not sure how we end up with that shot. Mali and G were dropping shots in the clutch like it was their jobs. I still just can't fathom it ends like that. :( I want to be in the NCAA Tourney.

Sunday is going to be so painful. And every day leading up to it.

Lydon has hit about 100% of his shots at the buzzer before half this year...I'm not sure how we end up with that shot. Mali and G were dropping shots in the clutch like it was their jobs. I still just can't fathom it ends like that. :( I want to be in the NCAA Tourney.

Sunday is going to be so painful. And every day leading up to it.

To be honest I dont even care anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors