Quincy on next years team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy on next years team

Quincy on next years team

• Yes

Votes: 42 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 109 72.2%

• Total voters
Just saying...he said it like it was said to him. So if JB realistically think QG is coming back...maybe it’s JB speak as we all know happens...or maybe it’s an idea and they will try it out in practice.

I don’t see it realistically...but ...can u imagine if?

If Quincy is back, this team might make the Top 25.

If we added another guard who was better than Symir and Joe, we might have a really good team, depending on how quickly Benny Five Star picks up the defense, and how well he can board.

plus benny/jesse/frank though...thats a long team with a lot of size...especially on the backline...4 guys over 6'6" will make up for some of that lack of lateral quickness.

I think it could be a problem but it could also be a thing where players get by the guards and then have nowhere to go. Like a chinese finger trap haha

Well, obviously you can't play Jesse and Frank (or Sidibe) at the same time. Sidibe is likely the starter. Benny should start. Is he strong enough to rebound? Then I guess it's Swider or Quincy, but probably Swider. We could be pretty good with those guys, if everyone is healthy.

Jimmy as the only option off the bench is kind of like having a Notre Dame guy coming off the bench. I hope he channels his inner "Tommy Stundis". If he's not tough, not willing to really throw his body around, then I honestly don't know how much he'll help us. If he could play like Kristof Ongenaet or Toothless Marek Dolezaj, diving on the floor and whatnot, then maybe.

If Quincy is back, this team might make the Top 25.

If we added another guard who was better than Symir and Joe, we might have a really good team, depending on how quickly Benny Five Star picks up the defense, and how well he can board.

This is such a depressing take. No offense to you IM but this is a white flag post to me.I mean there is absolutely cause and reason to expect those two, especially given Symir's skillset to be improved and not the throwaway low major guards they are being portrayed as.

I think they both have to show better but I think it's fair to have some trust it can happen and see how things play out.

Another guard or wing with a handle is a necessary addition for depth unless Chaz is far better than expected. If a kid like say Pickett from Siena wants in too then sure let's do it.

But when I read on the take from G20 on Symir that is the most informed/detailed scout from anyone on here to date.. I think I am hitting the brakes for a moment. We need depth but we don't necessarily need a shiny new toy at PG before we have even seen this group on the court together.

Last edited:
Well, let me just say that when we have Buddy, Joe, Jimmy and Swider out there, that is going to be probably the worst defensive team we have ever had. Just get yourself ready for it now. We are going to have to score 80 points a game to win games.

First of all it's unlikely that combo would be out there that much and second of all that is two guys you haven't seen in the zone. So that is an assumption on athleticism and foot speed. So maybe that is right but the frustration over losing Kadary and Woody has manifested into an unbreakable cynicism. If it honestly takes an elite PG and another big time athlete at Forward to keep Jimmy and Coles ass on the bench to please the cynics then I think the reality is there is just a bit too much negative bias.

The argument keeps being about the JB is untouchable narrative but it's not really that at all at least for me. I am looking at the players, how they fit and where we can improve and shore up weaknesses. Not once has JB entered that dialogue nor has it been parroted by many others.

First of all it's unlikely that combo would be out there that much and second of all that is two guys you haven't seen in the zone. So that is an assumption on athleticism and foot speed.

There is only 1 other forward on the roster, Benny Five Star.
He can't play 40 minutes, can he?
If he did, Jimmy wouldn't play.
And Symir was not brought in to replace Joe.
So, we're looking at that lineup for probably 10-15 minutes a game.

There is only 1 other forward on the roster, Benny Five Star.
He can't play 40 minutes, can he?
If he did, Jimmy wouldn't play.
And Symir was not brought in to replace Joe.
So, we're looking at that lineup for probably 10-15 minutes a game.

If QG doesn't come back I don't see how we don't bring in another wing/forward for starters so you are assuming we stick with the 3 forwards and nothing else. That seems highly unrealistic that we purposely go into the season rail thin at multiple positions given the number of guys still available in the portal.

Again the likelihood of that lineup being on the floor more than 5 mins is low unless Symir only plays 5 min a game or we don't add a player should Q leave which I highly doubt in either scenario.

Also what part of Symir being in addition to Joe vs replacing Joe plays any role? Kadary wasn't brought in to replace Joe as it appears and averaged 21 mpg.

Sadly, I don't see him coming back. Most of these guys don't see the truth that at the time of their decision to leave college, they are not NBA ready or have the "potential" that will get them drafted, though not ready. Quincy is good enough now for the G League or a pro career overseas. If he is okay with that, fine. If he wants a shot at the NBA, his best chance is another year of college. Don't worry about age, stop looking at the money made by the colleges, coaches, networks and the big business of college basketball and focus on how do "I" realistically get to the NBA. Quincy is close - being athletic, a hard worker, good rebounder and defender. The NBA folks will tell him he will need to work on his ball handling and develop a consistent jumper. There is no reason for Q if healthy, to not average 10 rebounds a game, and if he works on finishing around the basket, he should average a minimum of 16 points per game. Next year's draft looks weak so there is an opportunity for him to be one of the guys who play themselves into being a draft pick.

Well, let me just say that when we have Buddy, Joe, Jimmy and Swider out there, that is going to be probably the worst defensive team we have ever had. Just get yourself ready for it now. We are going to have to score 80 points a game to win games.
C'mon, I just couldn't let this go. It's impossible to talk about the defensive prowess of an SU team and leave out the center position. The expected defensive presence of next years centers are immense. So much so, that the D as a whole looks to be better next year than last year.

D comparison.

The Sid/Jesse/Frank/JJr center position is miles above Marek/Jesse of last year. Not only do we get the improved end of season version of Jesse, but we get rid of the undersized, underweight, foul restricted Marek in the middle. We get long, aggressive, centers.

The forwards look to be a little better because AG was undersized. Cole transferred in part because while a slight defensive liability in the hard man put on by Villanova, he is an asset in the Zone with the athleticism he has for his length. Benny has the athleticism and length but is a frosh. JJr has the knowledge and length but seems limited athletically to me (of note, the General saw it differently than me, he thought JJr was more athletic than Cole).
For the guards we get more experienced starters, another year for both. And during the tourney, Buddy increased his effort and effectiveness.

Yes, we lose Kadary but the huge increase in the centers more than makes up for the loss So not only is it not the worst ever (man, the hyperbole there) but the D should be better than last year.

C'mon, I just couldn't let this go. It's impossible to talk about the defensive prowess of an SU team and leave out the center position. The expected defensive presence of next years centers are immense. So much so, that the D as a whole looks to be better next year than last year.

D comparison.

The Sid/Jesse/Frank/JJr center position is miles above Marek/Jesse of last year. Not only do we get the improved end of season version of Jesse, but we get rid of the undersized, underweight, foul restricted Marek in the middle. We get long, aggressive, centers.

The forwards look to be a little better because AG was undersized. Cole transferred in part because while a slight defensive liability in the hard man put on by Villanova, he is an asset in the Zone with the athleticism he has for his length. Benny has the athleticism and length but is a frosh. JJr has the knowledge and length but seems limited athletically to me (of note, the General saw it differently than me, he thought JJr was more athletic than Cole).
For the guards we get more experienced starters, another year for both. And during the tourney, Buddy increased his effort and effectiveness.

Yes, we lose Kadary but the huge increase in the centers more than makes up for the loss So not only is it not the worst ever (man, the hyperbole there) but the D should be better than last year.
I also want to add that our guards will not be slowed down by recovering from a very a devastating illness that had to have some affect on their reaction/quickness/stamina. No, they will not be taller and no they will not be Kadary, he will be missed, but we added a very solid guard who I look forward to see playing. We lose athleticism with AG gone. We gain size and probably basketball IQ, adding a coaches son from an Ivy League school, son who probably listened to his dad for years talk about the zone and I think we will be fine. I just want Q back and and serviceable fourth guard to develop who can play if needed. We get that and I think we can compete for an ACC title. That's a team that can go far in the NCAA's also. Looking forward to 21/22 and very grateful for the entertainment of the 20/21 squad!

Before Jimmy committed JB said "We have 3 forwards now and will get to 4." Fould be because he knew Jimmy's decision and slipped, could be the plans are for Frank to play the 4, could be that he feels good about Quincy coming back.

D comparison.

It's nice that we have 3 or 4 centers, but you only play 1 of them at a time.
If the guys up top can't prevent the dribble-drive, then we are going to need all of those centers because of the number of fouls they're going to get.

Before Jimmy committed JB said "We have 3 forwards now and will get to 4." Fould be because he knew Jimmy's decision and slipped, could be the plans are for Frank to play the 4, could be that he feels good about Quincy coming back.

That would be interesting to have Frank at the 4.

Since he was talking about Junior’s pending announcement, I don’t think anything slipped.

Since he was talking about Junior’s pending announcement, I don’t think anything slipped.
True and I guess it was really a combination of two of the three plus a fourth that would involve an unknown recruit. Jimmy, Benny and Cole are the only three forwards on the roster currently. Is the fourth Frank, Quincy, or ?

Need another guard before a forward imo. Next piece we need on top of Anslem is a transition swingman. Someone about 6'5+ finishes 10-12 feet out and both hands around the rim, and likes playing guard on offense. Someone who can draw a few fouls inside. Doesn't need any 3 point shot. If younger, someone with some extraordinary speed would be nice. Harder to get offensive rebounds when we're not drawing help defense near the rim, need someone to give us a opportunity to get 2 guys in the low block on occasion to an advantage.

Last edited:
True and I guess it was really a combination of two of the three plus a fourth that would involve an unknown recruit. Jimmy, Benny and Cole are the only three forwards on the roster currently. Is the fourth Frank, Quincy, or ?
Yeah, I think he was talking about FA, QG, or Buddy.

If he doesn’t return, the preseason top 25 forecasts are delusional. We’ll need a functional rebounder. As it is, we could use another athlete in the frontcourt.

Well, obviously you can't play Jesse and Frank (or Sidibe) at the same time. Sidibe is likely the starter. Benny should start. Is he strong enough to rebound? Then I guess it's Swider or Quincy, but probably Swider. We could be pretty good with those guys, if everyone is healthy.

Jimmy as the only option off the bench is kind of like having a Notre Dame guy coming off the bench. I hope he channels his inner "Tommy Stundis". If he's not tough, not willing to really throw his body around, then I honestly don't know how much he'll help us. If he could play like Kristof Ongenaet or Toothless Marek Dolezaj, diving on the floor and whatnot, then maybe.
If he could play like Kristof I'd be disappointed. It is rare for JB to change starters mid-season. Kristov lost his starting position.

When is the last team we had that both shot it well and rebounded well?

Probably never. We have rebounded between 62 and 68 percent of the opposing teams misses every year since 96 according to KP. The players change, but the sucky rebounding never does.

Probably never. We have rebounded between 62 and 68 percent of the opposing teams misses every year since 96 according to KP. The players change, but the sucky rebounding never does.

The two best years - I found of recent were 09-10 and 10-11. In both years we were top 50 in FG pct (#1 in 09-10) and had a plus rebounding differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom