JB and a Plan ??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jw is a very smart guy. He isn't going to throw out 50 years of an amazing foundation because of a bad year. Nor is he going to crap on JB. All the talk about Few and every other outsider is baloney. There is no way JW is going to not give one of Jims guys a shot. B Army, the love of his past players, 30k in the dome, His foundation, His name on the court, HOF coach and you JW is going to hire some outsider. He would have to be nuts and or have a complete disdain for Jim. You just don't throw out a top 10 tradition unless its broken and it isn't. Just needs fresh legs and one of Jims can do it and will do it well. Next year is the last so let's enjoy it and hope he pulls off a miracle run.

You think hiring an outsider is throwing out the foundation? Is SU going to tear down the Dome and go back to being an independent? That would be tearing down the foundation

Follow me on this ride......Tin foil hat and all....

After the 21-22 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins will be fired from the University of Washington.
Before the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins returns to Syracuse as its lead assistant.
After the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season JB retires as Syracuse's head coach
Before the 23-24 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins is promoted to Syracuse Head Coach.

He refused to tell Brent the details of the plan so he isn't going to tell me. But an 'ironclad' plan doesn't sound like it involves a search for the next coach.

It's interesting that he called Brent the day after Juli got robbed at gunpoint. He had his own brush with death a couple years ago. Maybe he diced that he wants some time with Juli before something else happens so he had "the talk" with Wildhack but felt the need to fulfill a promise that he'll be here when the new recruits come in - or to try to finish on a more positive note.

But you can ask him to define what the word ironclad means to him.

If there is "a plan in place, a good plan, an ironclad plan" JB is suggesting that all the details are already worked out and set in stone with the AD. Maybe this is a power play move, maybe he is just saying things. But, I doubt it. This is smoke. The fact that JB is going public with some of the stuff that we hinted at in your thread asking if the AD cared what the fans think is...interesting. The fact that JB choose to characterize this as a "good" plan might cause some concern if you think through what JB would think is "good."
JB is signaling folks…

I don't know why JB would say I know the plan but I'm not telling you. That will just lead to everyone asking a million times and he'll never have a minute of peace now. It's a huge distraction. Why open the door? Just say I'm coaching next season and that's it.

I know many on this board are going to be very sad when he retires…I know I am going to be. Things didn’t go our way these last few years but he’s been such a big part of what Syracuse means to me
Absolutely. Ultimately, I'll remember him most as being the coach when I became a fan in '87 and then all the great memories through 2012 or so.

It will be interesting to see if he does a Coach K and says before the season or if he does a Roy Williams and just goes after the season
He will do a Roy. I think it will be too hard on him to do a long good-bye. I wonder how this has been going for K, the emotional toll of it? I suspect he and Boeheim will talk about it when it’s all over.

As I said on another thread I believe JW & JB agreed that next year will be his final season. It doesn’t do any good to announce that now but it will be announced this off-season.
If you listened to JB’s interview he said they he had no influence over the next coach. I believe JW won’t know or announce a new coach until after next season. There is too much that can happen to potential coaching candidates to name one before then.

I mean will Jimmy or Buddy be ready to be a HC by then? Maybe Marek comes back because he misses pizza so much :rolleyes:

Follow me on this ride...Tin foil hat and all...

After the 21-22 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins will be fired from the University of Washington.
Before the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins returns to Syracuse as its lead assistant.
After the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season JB retires as Syracuse's head coach
Before the 23-24 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins is promoted to Syracuse Head Coach.
I think Hopkins resigns and then either joins the staff or is hired if JB hangs it up after the season.

But seriously I am not in love with hiring from within. Now I’m not saying go big game hunting because I feel like that will come up empty (but I also wants us to reach out to the big game [Wright, Oats, etc.] to gauge interest, but don’t think that’s our answer). I think there have to be some good young non-power 5 coaches who would love to coach at place with the history and fan base of Syracuse.

The shot at Coach K in there was great. That is why I love this man regardless of how it is all ending.

"We have a plan in place, a good plan, an ironclad plan."
That sounds like something out of the mouth of a certain former president. Is it a "beautiful plan?" A "perfect plan?"
I heard the same cadence

"We have a plan in place, a good plan, an ironclad plan."
That sounds like something out of the mouth of a certain former president. Is it a "beautiful plan?" A "perfect plan?"

We’ve got a great plan. Just great!

Many people are saying it’s the best plan they’ve ever seen.

The best!

And everybody knows it.

You’ll find out more in Just two weeks…

If there is "a plan in place, a good plan, an ironclad plan" JB is suggesting that all the details are already worked out and set in stone with the AD. Maybe this is a power play move, maybe he is just saying things. But, I doubt it. This is smoke. The fact that JB is going public with some of the stuff that we hinted at in your thread asking if the AD cared what the fans think is...interesting. The fact that JB choose to characterize this as a "good" plan might cause some concern if you think through what JB would think is "good."

I am reading this positively. As in JB and JW have had 'the talk' and have agreed that a legitimate plan needs to be articulated because a) JB is nearing 80, and b) results have clearly fallen over the past 8 years. I hope / think that means an outside candidate but also ensuring an orderly and respectable departure for JB.

I think JW is astute enough and garners enough respect from JB that the message got through - that a real, ironclad plans needs to be put in place. And to return SU to its former glory, an announcement will be made at the right time which allows JW to do his thorough due diligence and find the right replacement, while also allows wing JB to go out the right way - with respect, on a relatively high note, and remembered fondly.

I think he’s going to grab the mic at the end of the Miami game and say

“Thanks for coming out tonight to see my final home game. And by the way we’re turning down the NIT bid. Hope I see you all at Heids.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom